Great day on roe does with Moray Outfitters

JockStalk

Not a 'write up' as such, so posting here after a great day on Sunday with Andy of Moray Outfitters/ Stalking School, in Morayshire.

My first day at the roe, and first experience of woodland stalking - a very different experience from hill reds!

A fantastic day, Andy sorted out some good weather (if a bit windy) and we saw plenty of beasts on the ground. The wind was swirling a fair bit which made approach a bit of a challenge. One doe taken in the morning and my first gralloch. Didnt make too much of a lash of it, but still plenty to learn.

In the afternoon we got onto a doe and follower in a ride, just the other side of a fallen tree. They popped out of the wood as we were stalking down. Probably 25 metres away. I could see branches of the fallen tree through the scope between me and the doe, so despite everything in my head saying take the shot (long day's stalking, here's the quarry, take the damn shot etc etc) my gut said no. Watched her take a good sniff then the pair bolted back into cover. Still not sure if it was the 'correct' decision but with inexperience on my side I was erring on the side of caution.

Anyway, no time for a more detailed write up - but wanted to give a big thumbs up again for the guys at Moray Outfitters.
:thumb:
JS

Nice one , you did the correct thing , your not desperate to kill them , and you would have had your day spoilt if it had gone wrong ! , so in my book you did the exact right thing , well done.

Last edited:
You should never regret a shot not fired. I have been there and second guessed it, but if in doubt dont. Not worth a wounded animal.

Yes, right decision.
You got one in the morning..... good result ...good day.
miss or wound the one in the afternoon...bad result ...day ruined,
perhaps the whole year ruined.

I think we have all made the occasional bad decision.
lesson learnt hopefully, but they stick in your memory.
best not to make it a regular occurrence.

Back