Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incredible picture and lucky escape for woodpecker!

Incredible picture and lucky escape for woodpecker!

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post

Timing is everything!
    So is Photoshop?

Certainly occurred to me that it might be doctored. But it's a BBC story, so it must be true.

The look on the woodpeckers face says its true to me.... they don't normally look like that in flight! (plus who in their right mind would think, 'I know, today I'm going to get a photo of a weasel and cut and paste it onto the back of a green woodpecker.....') it is actually fairly plausible, given that green woodpeckers spend a lot of time on the ground, I've seen stoats have a go at them before round here, granted never a weasel, but hey..... my money says true.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Why is it not latched onto the back of the woodpeckers neck with its teeth as it would have done almost instantly? The front leg is not in a wrapped around gripping position either. I doubt it just went along for the ride?
    MS

A lesser spotted woodpecker, which I think this is, generally measures around 6" and a weasel is probably a bit bigger, how much bigger depending on the age and whether male or female. I therefore wonder if this is a young weasel, not yet totally proficient in hunting. That would explain the ability for the bird to be able to fly off before the weasel presses home the attack.

Stoats often take birds which take off before expiring but as MS points out the weasel would be biting through the neck, mind you timing is everything I was once walking my spaniel along the beach when a sparrowhawk took a collared dove in mid flight, then there was noise like paper ripping as a peregrine dropped like a stone struck the sparrowhawk which subsequently dropped the dove and before the hawk hit the ground the falcon plucked it away. The spaniel retrieved the dove which I dispatched.

True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    A lesser spotted woodpecker, which I think this is, generally measures around 6" and a weasel is probably a bit bigger, how much bigger depending on the age and whether male or female. I therefore wonder if this is a young weasel, not yet totally proficient in hunting. That would explain the ability for the bird to be able to fly off before the weasel presses home the attack.
    Its a green woodpecker, about 5 times the size of a lesser spot......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Its a green woodpecker, about 5 times the size of a lesser spot......
    Ah, so it is. Scratch that theory, thanks Deerstalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Why is it not latched onto the back of the woodpeckers neck with its teeth as it would have done almost instantly? The front leg is not in a wrapped around gripping position either. I doubt it just went along for the ride?
    MS
    Neck bites can miss the vital spot. Clearly it's relying on hydrostatic shock to ensure a clean kill...