Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr Re-barrel

Steyr Re-barrel

Anyone had a Steyr Re-barreled? Could you give me an approximate cost and recommendation for someone that could do the job (in a reasonable time frame)?

ATB

Tom

I don't know why a Steyr should be any different but I am having a Remmy re-barrelled by Jager SA on the site and he is puttinga Bergara barrel on it at a very good price, in fact he has a special offer for the Kelso week-end so might be worth giving him a call.

I can tell you that friend of mine has just had his .243 Ultralight rebarreled by Steyr, and it was away for 12 weeks and cost 900. Had it not been a favourite rifle, he certainly wouldn't have paid that amount out.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    read this

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...87269000,d.d2s

it can be done but at great cost.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    read this

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...87269000,d.d2s

it can be done but at great cost.

bob.
    G'day Bob.
    Have a read of that thread from post #20 on.
    According to Steyr, the Prohunter series has a standard threaded barrel and can be rebarrelled just like most modern factory rifles.
    Other models, such as the SSG have press fit barrels that can be more expensive, but not impossible to replace.
    Last edited by Guesty; 04-03-2015 at 21:44.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    G'day Bob.
    Have a read of that thread from post #20 on.
    According to Steyr, the Prohunter series has a standard threaded barrel and can be rebarrelled just like most modern factory rifles.
    Other models, such as the SSG have press fit barrels that can be more expensive, but not impossible to replace.
    Hi big man, I went to Neil a while back when I had the pro hunter and sadly mine was not the threaded one, so I can understand that they may have changed the way they fit the barrels,

Thank you for that I was on the phone when I read this post and now I can see it on the pc it's better,

I may have had a older pro hunter so the new ones must be easy to change etc,

Hope your well bud been a wee while since we spoke,

Bob,
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Hi big man, I went to Neil a while back when I had the pro hunter and sadly mine was not the threaded one, so I can understand that they may have changed the way they fit the barrels,

Thank you for that I was on the phone when I read this post and now I can see it on the pc it's better,

I may have had a older pro hunter so the new ones must be easy to change etc,

Hope your well bud been a wee while since we spoke,

Bob,
    Hope all is good with you.
    I have a 2004 heavy barrel model (well, some of the plastic parts have manufacture dates of 2004), so I'm hoping that once I burn out the 308 barrel, it will become a 260 or similar.
    All the best,
    Matt.

Unless you abuse it, a Steyr .308 is good for about 20,000 rounds before losing enough accuracy to be taken out of sniper service; that is the experience of a lot of shooting and checking, going back to the SSG 69.

So you might just want to start shopping for separate .243, for this lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Unless you abuse it, a Steyr .308 is good for about 20,000 rounds before losing enough accuracy to be taken out of sniper service; that is the experience of a lot of shooting and checking, going back to the SSG 69.

So you might just want to start shopping for separate .243, for this lifetime.
    That's very true, I wasn't really expecting to wear the barrel out, but merely use up all my 308 consumables.
    The barrel will have only totalled around 2500 rounds max which is a shame to waste, but I have a 6.5mm itch that I can't stop scratching.
    I already have a Swede and a 260, so was thinking a 6.5x47 might complete the set.

No offense, but to change out a perfectly good barrel on a Steyr .308 which is shooting as I have known mine to shoot, would be like removing a good motor from a Ferrari or Corvette, thinking you could do better.