Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience of an SAK Ultra moderator for 22 semi auto

Established Poster
    Southern Burgundy, France and the UK a few times per year

Experience of an SAK Ultra moderator for 22 semi auto

Hey folks, I have several moderators for my 22LRs and all work to a varying degree. I have just bought a S&W MP15-22 and would like to get a new mod with 1/2x28 thread USA type. I have been looking at various ones but this one seemed quite good the SAK Ultra. I don't (can't use) a mod for my bigger calibers as mods are banned for hunting where I live ( France )- stupid outdated law issue where people think mods=silence=deer bandits. I do however want one for quieter times at my rifle club.

Any opinions or feedback on this maker would be appreciated whether on smaller 22LR/17HMR calibers of not....

Regards, Mark

Hi Mark - I have a SAK on my M&P 15-22 - I can vouch for it - with subs, all you hear is the bolt cycling!

SD Regular
    SAK does as well as just about anything else and is nice and cheap (here). Others to consider: LEI, ATEC Rimfire, Scirocco, ASE Rimfire - all do very well across the price bands. Some are prettier than others - but they do the job.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Established Poster
    Thanks guys. I haven't tried subsoniques and in fact thought they wouldn't cycle the action. Interesting to try - although they are costlier and it's easy to run through plenty rounds with the MP15 - 22. ...

Established Poster
    The SAK isn't cheap here €140 but at least I can buy as many as I like without that 'on my ticket' nonsense. Ah the plus and minus of each country. I miss shooting rabbits here (never ever seen one in France). Used to shoot loads when I was in the UK - great fun......

i think theres a bit of confusion the sak ultra i think is intended for c/f so thats why i think your finding it expensive the ones i use and suspect these are the ones eric the red is talking about are only rimfire ones ,priced over here about 35 pound,they work ok on 22s and 17hmrs no problem, atb doug,
    DONT START

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    i think theres a bit of confusion the sak ultra i think is intended for c/f so thats why i think your finding it expensive the ones i use and suspect these are the ones eric the red is talking about are only rimfire ones ,priced over here about 35 pound,they work ok on 22s and 17hmrs no problem, atb doug,
    Unfortunately the rimfire one was what I was saying was €140 CF ones seem to be about the €350 mark and upwards. I will get one of them when my AR15 arrives as 30 fast rounds with that will be nosier . Just checked out the cycling with CCI subsoniques, so quiet and no FTE, brilliant - they sell for about €8.50/100 if I buy 10 boxes or more or €7 if I buy 50 boxes or more. Still thanks for that - I guess the mod holds back some of the gas that helps the cycle.....

Quote Originally Posted by tramblygoat View Post
    Thanks guys. I haven't tried subsoniques and in fact thought they wouldn't cycle the action. Interesting to try - although they are costlier and it's easy to run through plenty rounds with the MP15 - 22. ...
    Subs are fine (1065fps) - don't use the quiets, they won't cycle it at all - other than that it'll run fine (suppressed or unsupressed - the back pressure doesn't matter).

Steer clear of the stingers - these are way too hot for the twist and you'll get flyers.

Last count I've put circa 12k rounds through mine - loved every minute!

Established Poster
    Thanks for that. I just got mine, cleaned off the factory preservative oil and then I put 500 rounds on it. No jams no fail to ejects. Then I cleaned it again and after that I've had quite a few FTE - crushed rounds. Today I tried CCI subsonic although I only had 30 to try. They shot fine. I also have some Winchester subs I'll try. It is the trial period for me - I've always been meticulous with semi - auto cleaning but perhaps the S&W likes less love and care.

Appreciated.