Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Ruger No.1 Stalkers

Calling All Ruger No.1 Stalkers

As the deer cull comes to the later stages on the Fallow,I deployed the Ruger No.1 7x57 International for an evening stalk,succeeding in taking a yearling fallow ..it was the evocative nature of the early Spring evening and use of a classic Ruger which inspired me to make an observation on the otherwise routine stalk...some days just stick in the mind..single shots do focus the set up, had a doe in the same wood yesterday with the Remmy..but today,s effort seemed different...classic stalk and a 150 yd shot into the engine room,brief track of 75yds on a good blood trail ...job done,the landowner was happy that I was filling his freezer!

Although not a No1 owner, I do understand the feeling. I have used a single shot many a time and do really appreciate the simplicity and tradition of it all.
    I know many on this site swear by the German style Kipplaufs.
    I personally use a Uberti 1885. At least I will once I've worked up a load.

There is something special about single shots and congrats on the stalk.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I have the little brother of your rifle, no1 in .257 Roberts.
    I have only had it for a bit but it is really growing on me. There's just something about stalking successfully with a classic rifle, even though mine is not that old.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

No. 1's are great rifles indeed. Combine that with a classic cal (7x57) and the lines of the international model and you have a winner.

I had a No.1 in 7x57 for a short while. I friend ran across it, with a nice Leupold scope, at an unbelievable price, but he had just bought one in 9.3x74R, so I bought it, and he later bought it from me. I had some old ammo left from having owned a second-hand custom Mauser, built for a lady, which I had sold.

Boy, that Ruger was a beautiful thing, and such a pleasure to shoot.

The Ruger had a long throat, and shot the 175-gr RN older loads really well. I did not have time to mess with handloads, but my friend has worked up several in various weights which shoot great. I will ask him for them.

Although I like the appearance of the No. 1 I find them to be excessively heavy for smal/medium bore cartridges. Once had a 375 H/H that split two stocks before I bedded it. Overall quality guns fior the price point but definately not swelt in any measure of the term. If a C. Sharps M1975 in a semi-modern style stock could be had at a similiar price I would opt for it.

SS

Recently bought another Ruger No1 in .243,the stainless /laminate version,I am lucky to have both rifles that even shoot PPU to 1/2" @100yds, none of those niggly forend problems....another tack driver the .243.

Congatlaton on your Classic stalk which you will always remember ! Got to love our Ruger No1s as you know we have a cabinet full of them , from 204 right up to 458 win , if I was to choose my favourite it's not a No1 but my Classic Ruger No3 -22 Hornet cracking little fox rifle & so enjoyable on a late summers evening , great memories ..

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOMX View Post
    Congatlaton on your Classic stalk which you will always remember ! Got to love our Ruger No1s as you know we have a cabinet full of them , from 204 right up to 458 win , if I was to choose my favourite it's not a No1 but my Classic Ruger No3 -22 Hornet cracking little fox rifle & so enjoyable on a late summers evening , great memories ..
    I know where there's one for sale. Couple of hundred notes I think.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Back in the day I had a week's roe stalking with FCS and used my Ruger No.1 V in 220 Swift.

Double figures I recall. Might dig out a picture of two if anyone's interested?

K