Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 Rifle

.243 Rifle

Hi,

I have just had a slot for .243 added to my FAC and am now looking for a rifle.

I will want to use it for fox and deer and already have a great S&B 8 x 56 to go onto it.

I am tempted by a new Browning A bolt but also considering a cheaper used gun (Midland, CZ, BSA etc). Obviously I would inspect the barrels of any used gun to ensure no pitting and that they look clean, but other than shooting them and checking grouping if possible any other hints, tips or recommendations?

Most of my shooting buddies are steering me away from a used .243, but I've not made my mind up!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by shoughton View Post
    Hi,

I will want to use it for fox and deer and already have a great S&B 8 x 56 to go onto it.

I am tempted by a new Browning A bolt but also considering a cheaper used gun (Midland, CZ, BSA etc). Obviously I would inspect the barrels of any used gun to ensure no pitting and that they look clean, but other than shooting them and checking grouping if possible any other hints, tips or recommendations?

Most of my shooting buddies are steering me away from a used .243, but I've not made my mind up!

Steve

For the price of a new cheep / mid range rifel like an X bolt or A bolt you could get a second hand Sako 85 or 75

Thats what i did and I havent regretted it.

I just got the RFD/Gunsmith to check it over

A quality rifel will need severl thousand rounds through it before its shot out and stalkers generaly dont shoot that many rounds a year

If you want to go new the Tikka is a better bet than the Browning A bolt IMHO

ATB

Chasey
    Last edited by Chasey; 04-03-2015 at 07:26.

You could also get a howa. I put mine beside a mates on the range and no difference!

Hi,

Steve
    I use a Rem 700 .243 with a Kahles scope since 2011, two types of factory rounds for fox and deer as there is only the slightest difference in where they hit the mark.
    It is set 3/4 of an inch high @ 200 yards off quad sticks.
    It has a plastic stock with a lot of scratches, it gets used, pulled through, clean the mod threads and crown, wiped over and put back in the cabernet (tin box)

I spent £ 400 pounds more on the scope than the rifle as you will shoot out further in time once you get dialled in and more confidant.

They are not so refined and people love to knock them....however I would buy one again.

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 04-03-2015 at 09:20.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    wiped over and put back in the cabernet.
    Whilst a good cleaning regime will look after your rifle, immersing it in your favourite plonk for extended periods will do nothing for it and cost you a fortune.
    Sorry mate couldn't resist that one. One of the best spelling mistakes I've seen yet.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

You could Buy a used cheap package of here that' has proven accuracy

there's a 243 package with scope in the forsale section on here for £300 with variable scope

Or buy a new Tikka t3 it'll do everything you want

if your shooting fox aswell maybe look at a variable scope as good as a 8x56 s+b is when your shooting foxes out to 200 yards say the other side of a field you'll be glad of a bit extra mag
    Last edited by Markfox; 04-03-2015 at 08:28.

I would buy a used rifle. I have a tikka t3 which I love. I don't think you can go wrong with buying an older rifle in nice condition either.

Belgian gunsmiths say that Browning have the best barrels after Blaser. Biased ?? Maybe. The A-bolt is a nice rifle, easy safety , magazine ( wich can't be lost) and top loading . The most important they are LIGHT.
    The T3 lite is also very light. Don't get sold a 3.2 / 3.3 kg 243. To heavy.

If you find a secondhand T3, it will Always keep his value. A new rifle loose value.

Hi,

I have just had a slot for .243 added to my FAC and am now looking for a rifle. . .

Steve
    Listen to your buddies.
    Unless you can test fire the rifle or are prepared to rebarrel it if needed, buy new. On the the other hand you might find a very nice rifle that fits and if it needs rebarreling well so what, you've got the rifle you want albeit probably for the price of a new one.

As already said you can't go wrong with a Tikka or A7 and A7 Roughtech Pro which is in between the Tikka and Sako. My money would be on the Pro, a proper 24" barreled rifle so you are not hovering on the minimalist legal and practical limit of the 20" ones.

Hi,

Steve
    Too bad it is a 243, otherwise you could have just looked for a good action to rebarrel to something useful like a 308!

SS