Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food/meat slicer for home use

Food/meat slicer for home use

Just wondering if anyone has one they don't use that they want to sell or knows of a decent one for about 30-40 quid that would do for home use slicing cured meats, etc?

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I've got a pretty large Buffalo one which has had hardly any use but is a bit 'industrial'! I think the blade is either 250mm or 300 but I'd have to check when I get home. However, I thought I needed one, but to be honest it takes an age to clean it after use and unless you are doing large volumes it is just not work the effort! I found that it is quicker and easier to just use a decent knife and slice by hand. I do want to sell mine but it is probably too big and out of your stated price range. I'd ask yourself if you really need one though? I thought I did............. but didn't!
    MS

Stratts, I think you'd be disappointed with anything you picked up in that price range. If you box clever on eBay you can pick up a commercial one for not much more, I got a Berkel for just over 60. I would be interested (and happy to be proved wrong) to hear if anyone does have a cheaper one that performs well in that price range.

I picked one up at Lidl few years ago for 30 quid ... Laugh all you want as some will but use it on hams once cooked ... Remove Cracklin then slice for cold meat for sandwiches rather than that water injected crap ... Honestly does a great job but I'm not using it every day
    Variable thickness blade etc not too big and works !

Keep eyes open see if they come up again

Paul

Thanks chaps food for thought again

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    Stratts, I think you'd be disappointed with anything you picked up in that price range. If you box clever on eBay you can pick up a commercial one for not much more, I got a Berkel for just over 60. I would be interested (and happy to be proved wrong) to hear if anyone does have a cheaper one that performs well in that price range.
    Well, I picked up one of these from Amazon for 45: Andrew James Electric Precision Food Slicer 19cm Blade + Includes 2 Extra Blades For Bread and Meat: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen Home

We use it on several occasions during the year to slice whole cooked hams and joints of beef for events in our village hall (harvest suppers, village picnics, etc.). It's not perfect, in that meat debris gets stuck at the base of the blade, and it's not ideally designed from a cleaning perspective, but for the price I have been really impressed.

Given the occasional use it gets I'd be hard pushed to justify buying a more commercial model.....other than the normal male "power tool" obsession of course.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I have one of these only complaint is it has a plastic drive crown gear I have all ready had to fit a new one had it 3 months definitely a design fault
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Well, I picked up one of these from Amazon for 45: Andrew James Electric Precision Food Slicer 19cm Blade + Includes 2 Extra Blades For Bread and Meat: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen Home

We use it on several occasions during the year to slice whole cooked hams and joints of beef for events in our village hall (harvest suppers, village picnics, etc.). It's not perfect, in that meat debris gets stuck at the base of the blade, and it's not ideally designed from a cleaning perspective, but for the price I have been really impressed.

Given the occasional use it gets I'd be hard pushed to justify buying a more commercial model.....other than the normal male "power tool" obsession of course.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by african jack View Post
    I have one of these only complaint is it has a plastic drive crown gear I have all ready had to fit a new one had it 3 months definitely a design fault
    Interesting - I've had mine since 2012 and not encountered this problem......which of course means I will the next time I use it Something I'll keep an eye on.

Did you contact the manufacturer for the replacement drive crown gear, or source one elsewhere?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post

I'm glad you said that as I'd seen this one and read the reviews which are promising! I also like the idea of the Mrs being able to finally slice a loaf of bread evenly instead of something I can hold a door open with!!

I'm not sure a smooth meat blade would do bread mate? I think you need a serrated one for bread?
    MS