opinion on different brands

john.g

Hi gents, I have added a .270 to my fac renewal, have been looking at a few makes and would welcome any information on them as I will be on a budget and can get the rifle new for around £600 or below,and would hope to get a better scope than what I currently have on my .243
anyway here's what I have been looking at prices are in descending order
Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic
Browning A bolt
Remi 770
Marling XL7
Savage Axis S/Steel

Last edited:
I have the A bolt composite stalkers in 223,243 and 308 they shoot PPU ammo within an inch at 100yds, the triggers are adjustable but still on the heavy side. I have swapped all the trigger springs to softer ones( 5 min job easy) and now they shoot a treat,

IMHO you can't go wrong for a new rifle,

atb

kjf

Personally, I wouldn't buy any off your list. I'd search Gun Trader or the classifieds here for a good SH Sako or other quality rifle and buy that.

270's seam to be infashionable now, there are good rifles out there.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any off your list. I'd search Gun Trader or the classifieds here for a good SH Sako or other quality rifle and buy that.

270's seam to be infashionable now, there are good rifles out there.

I'd second that. Used Tikka,Sako or Remington 700.

Have an Abolt but would not get it in a 270, for that I have a Sako L61R, excellent action & well built gun, very easy into the shoulder & handles beautifully, busting the '270 harsh recoil myth' As has been said there are higher quality pre-owned rifles that have seen very little action to be found. I personally would not buy a new rifle for the same reason I would not buy a new car, a well looked after second or more hand is much better VFM.

I just had a quick nosy on guntrader, there are at least half a dozen 270's, all with good quality scopes on board - S&B and Swaro 6x42's mostly - for £500 - £700. If you don't like the scope, you can flog it here for £300 and you have a rifle for about £300.

I wouldn't touch any rifle on that list either.

Isn't there an old Parker Hale in good nick kicking about for sale somewhere? It would make for a much better hunting rifle & have a bit of class too.

Sharkey

Wouldn't touch any of them when you can get tikka and sakos second hand and save money and they are a better quality rifle

k thanks for the reply's guys, still no one has answered my original questions,
yup I hear what you say guys about better rifles out there but out of the list what are they like as I would like to get a rifle with a snythetic stalk. had a look at parker hale's but don't like the look of them, ( fussy bugger) nice scope on the one in guntrader but don't like the rifle. :rolleyes:

I have two Abolts.....one a Medallion in 22-250 and the other a Hunter in .270. Beautiful rifles. Tang safety, low bolt lift, removable magazine that can still be top loaded, easily adjustable trigger......there's nothing not to like.

Feel free to PM me & you can come across anytime and have a look at both if you like? Only 25 minutes or so from the bridge, or 15 from NCR Kingsway :thumb:

Last edited:
If your insistent that we choose from your list, the Wetherby is the one I'd go for.
Howa / Wetherby are much of the same thing. . . Good strong if not maybe slightly agricultural actions. .
They are well made and with a little work on the trigger you will have a good accurate bang pole.

For what its worth, I would look towards a lightly used howa, really good rifles and you'll pick one up for peanuts.
I have one in the cabinet as a work horse, it's never going to win any competitions but is perfectly adequate for stalking.

thanks cad, that's the sort of answer I was looking for, I want to point gun pull trigger and bang a deer falls over, I know there are some nice rifles out there ( I have a tikka .243) but budget is to tight to allow me a new snythetic rifle with decent scope, got too much on this year to allow it, whatever I choose it will be getting a trigger job done on it

Back