12v dc Refrigeration unit

2130martin

OK,I am sure this has been done before so any pointers will be appreciated.........I have purchased a Refrigeration box container removed from a van,it currently has a 12vdc refrigeration unit,NO MAINS HOOK UP........what is the best way to get it working off the mains supply??

Thanks in advance

Martin

You used to be able to buy transformers for caravans. Plug the 240v transformer in for a 12v output. Depending on the consumption of the unit I would not recommend the earlier suggestion of using a charger as a transformer through a battery. As if the charger is overloaded it may set fire. I'e seen this in boats fairly often and found leads melted and blackened. Luckily no fires to date but it does happen.

I'm sure you can get transformers still. I'd toddle along to your nearest electrical factor outlet and see what they've got. Ensure the thing you buy has the capacity amps/watts wise to run it, or you could be back to it burning out again.

Like woodmaster said, check the consumption of the unit, the current will be substantial since the voltage is only 12V. Depending on the model the current spike when the unit starts can be even higher. At least in this case it would help to use a car battery between the unit and transformer.

Here in Finland a car charger that gives 15A costs 60-200 Euro. I assume something in this class is minimum, since e.g. 350W unit will take 30A when running. If you want to go cheaper you have to go S/H or research something like this (I'm not familiar with LED lighting)

110V/220V To DC 12V 350W LED Strip Voltage Transformer Switch Power Converter UK | eBay

Thanks for all the comments so far, the info on the motor says 76.7 amps.........sounds precise!!??....I assume that is maximum peak

OK,I am sure this has been done before so any pointers will be appreciated.........I have purchased a Refrigeration box container removed from a van,it currently has a 12vdc refrigeration unit,NO MAINS HOOK UP........what is the best way to get it working off the mains supply??

Thanks in advance

Martin

Just a thought for the future....a 240 mains unit from a large fridge have it fitted and gassed up?
Yes a fair cost but for the long term....

Tim.243

hi, you have two options, a couple of heavy duty 12volt batteries wired in parallel hooked up to a battery charger, or a 240volt ac to a 12volt dc power supply which if you could find one would be very expensive, also a couple of large solar panels on the roof of the chiller via a regulator would probably keep the batteries charged, cheers Geoff

OK
Here we go the chiller unit would be run off a compressor that was driven by a belt off the van engine the only thing that is 12 volt is the controls and the evaporator and condensor fans.
So to make it work you need a 240 volt motor a mounting bracket and the original compressor off the van.

But I could be wrong.

Back