Thread: Re-stock

Re-stock

Re-stock
    I'm thinking of buying a fancy new stock for my rifle. I like the look of the laminate jobs, particularly the thumbhole versions. However I would appreciate some feedback before I buy.

So, can anyone advise on makes, models and materials available and more importantly how they handle in the field? Also any help re where I can get the stock fitted and bedded. I have a Sako L61R action

Thanks

fancy and laminate don't go together on the contrary.

What you're looking for is either a fancy stock (beautiful walnut in a classic profile), or, a modern style stock in laminate or fibreglass.

Any smith worth their salt can bed and adjust length of the stock to suit you. if the fitting involves the drop at comb and heel, angle of cheek weld, etc. then you're into a whole 'nother world of stockfitting and costs, re-finishing, etc. better to find an off the shelf plastic or laminate stock that fits you pretty well, have it bedded, and off you go.

if synthetic/fibreglass, I would go with Bell and Carlson (not thumbhole), if laminate and thumbhole, try these guys here - Accuflite Arms

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    fancy and laminate don't go together on the contrary.

What you're looking for is either a fancy stock (beautiful walnut in a classic profile), or, a modern style stock in laminate or fibreglass.

Any smith worth their salt can bed and adjust length of the stock to suit you. if the fitting involves the drop at comb and heel, angle of cheek weld, etc. then you're into a whole 'nother world of stockfitting and costs, re-finishing, etc. better to find an off the shelf plastic or laminate stock that fits you pretty well, have it bedded, and off you go.

if synthetic/fibreglass, I would go with Bell and Carlson (not thumbhole), if laminate and thumbhole, try these guys here - Accuflite Arms
    Ok....I need an off the shelf laminate or synthetic job that will be fine on the hill. I have to admit that I like the look of the thumbhole laminates and marbled synthetic ones but I could do with some feedback re user friendliness on the hill.

Walnut too posh for me!

Quote Originally Posted by scotspine View Post
    Ok....I need an off the shelf laminate or synthetic job that will be fine on the hill. I have to admit that I like the look of the thumbhole laminates and marbled synthetic ones but I could do with some feedback re user friendliness on the hill.

Walnut too posh for me!
    if for a stalking rifle I would go with a drop in good quality fibreglass stock, not thumbhole. B&C, HS Precision, Hogue or mcmillan. HS and McMillan have long production and shipping times for some of their products, B&C should be relatively quick and good quality, Hogue, well, I'm not entirely sure if they do the AV/L61R but you can quickly check.

open and shut case IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    if for a stalking rifle I would go with a drop in good quality fibreglass stock, not thumbhole. B&C, HS Precision, Hogue or mcmillan. HS and McMillan have long production and shipping times for some of their products, B&C should be relatively quick and good quality, Hogue, well, I'm not entirely sure if they do the AV/L61R but you can quickly check.

open and shut case IMHO.
    Thank you.

What's the problem with the thumbhole? Is it handling, weight or what?

Regards

nothing wrong with the thumbhole, I just personally don't see them as hunting rifle stocks, nor do I feel that they handle that way when in the field.

varmint stocks and a bit of target work, yes, hunting,,not for me..that said, it might be for you, so don't take my word as gospel!

Mcmillan are a well known, tried and tested product-the industry standard in custom stocks IMO. If you are lucky Jackson rifles will be have one in stock for your rifle, otherwise it could be a wait. I had redmist bed my sako 75 into a sako varmint and have been really impressed with the improvement in accuracy. I use the rifle on the hill occasionally and it has not made it excessively heavy....maybe a little heavier than the factory synthetic but well worth it as it is a far more robust and rigid platform than before.