Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Re-stock

  1. #1

    Re-stock

    Re-stock
    I'm thinking of buying a fancy new stock for my rifle. I like the look of the laminate jobs, particularly the thumbhole versions. However I would appreciate some feedback before I buy.

    So, can anyone advise on makes, models and materials available and more importantly how they handle in the field? Also any help re where I can get the stock fitted and bedded. I have a Sako L61R action

    Thanks

  2. #2
    fancy and laminate don't go together on the contrary.

    What you're looking for is either a fancy stock (beautiful walnut in a classic profile), or, a modern style stock in laminate or fibreglass.

    Any smith worth their salt can bed and adjust length of the stock to suit you. if the fitting involves the drop at comb and heel, angle of cheek weld, etc. then you're into a whole 'nother world of stockfitting and costs, re-finishing, etc. better to find an off the shelf plastic or laminate stock that fits you pretty well, have it bedded, and off you go.

    if synthetic/fibreglass, I would go with Bell and Carlson (not thumbhole), if laminate and thumbhole, try these guys here - Accuflite Arms

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    fancy and laminate don't go together on the contrary.

    What you're looking for is either a fancy stock (beautiful walnut in a classic profile), or, a modern style stock in laminate or fibreglass.

    Any smith worth their salt can bed and adjust length of the stock to suit you. if the fitting involves the drop at comb and heel, angle of cheek weld, etc. then you're into a whole 'nother world of stockfitting and costs, re-finishing, etc. better to find an off the shelf plastic or laminate stock that fits you pretty well, have it bedded, and off you go.

    if synthetic/fibreglass, I would go with Bell and Carlson (not thumbhole), if laminate and thumbhole, try these guys here - Accuflite Arms
    Ok....I need an off the shelf laminate or synthetic job that will be fine on the hill. I have to admit that I like the look of the thumbhole laminates and marbled synthetic ones but I could do with some feedback re user friendliness on the hill.

    Walnut too posh for me!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by scotspine View Post
    Ok....I need an off the shelf laminate or synthetic job that will be fine on the hill. I have to admit that I like the look of the thumbhole laminates and marbled synthetic ones but I could do with some feedback re user friendliness on the hill.

    Walnut too posh for me!
    if for a stalking rifle I would go with a drop in good quality fibreglass stock, not thumbhole. B&C, HS Precision, Hogue or mcmillan. HS and McMillan have long production and shipping times for some of their products, B&C should be relatively quick and good quality, Hogue, well, I'm not entirely sure if they do the AV/L61R but you can quickly check.

    open and shut case IMHO.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    if for a stalking rifle I would go with a drop in good quality fibreglass stock, not thumbhole. B&C, HS Precision, Hogue or mcmillan. HS and McMillan have long production and shipping times for some of their products, B&C should be relatively quick and good quality, Hogue, well, I'm not entirely sure if they do the AV/L61R but you can quickly check.

    open and shut case IMHO.
    Thank you.

    What's the problem with the thumbhole? Is it handling, weight or what?

    Regards

  6. #6
    nothing wrong with the thumbhole, I just personally don't see them as hunting rifle stocks, nor do I feel that they handle that way when in the field.

    varmint stocks and a bit of target work, yes, hunting,,not for me..that said, it might be for you, so don't take my word as gospel!

  7. #7
    Mcmillan are a well known, tried and tested product-the industry standard in custom stocks IMO. If you are lucky Jackson rifles will be have one in stock for your rifle, otherwise it could be a wait. I had redmist bed my sako 75 into a sako varmint and have been really impressed with the improvement in accuracy. I use the rifle on the hill occasionally and it has not made it excessively heavy....maybe a little heavier than the factory synthetic but well worth it as it is a far more robust and rigid platform than before.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-11-2013, 18:12
  2. *SOLD* Remington 700 VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) Stock For Sale
    By 270Buck in forum Firearms Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-03-2013, 22:38
  3. Raising stock comb and changing stock colour???
    By THE GRIFF in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 18:42
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-10-2010, 21:31
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-10-2010, 10:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •