Thread: Dumb newbie question re shooting permissions...

Dumb newbie question re shooting permissions...

Ok, so...
    finally my FAC came and I want to know where I stand legally re shooting permissions. My condition is that I need to be with someone with an open licence, which is fine..

BUT...if I want to shoot a buddy's rifle on land where he has permission, do I need to get permission myself and inform my local constabulary?

Also, if my permissions are out of county, do I need to inform my own local firearms folks only, or those of the county concerned, or both?

Ta, and sorry for the dumb question but my FEO came and went in a rush when they dropped off my FAC....

You need to quote verbatim what is written on your FAC before people are going to be able to make an educated 'guess'. Better still, phone your FEO for clarification.
    Baguio

Hi,

Any chance you could scan the section of your licence with the conditions and send it to me, i will then get a member of our firearms team to give you a definitive reply

thanks

David

david.ilsley@basc.org.uk

I thought the HO had put an end to mentoring conditions?

You can use your friend's rifle in his presence and under his supervision on land where he has permission regardless of what your FAC says, in the same way as you could if you had no certificate. You can't just borrow his rifle unless it's on your FAC as well.

You don't need to inform the Police of new permission you gain, but if you have a territorial restriction on your cert you need to get the land cleared. Contact your own force with any queries, etc.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post

You don't need to inform the Police of new permission you gain....
    Really? Not in A&S

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    I thought the HO had put an end to mentoring conditions?

You can use your friend's rifle in his presence and under his supervision on land where he has permission regardless of what your FAC says, in the same way as you could if you had no certificate. You can't just borrow his rifle unless it's on your FAC as well.

You don't need to inform the Police of new permission you gain, but if you have a territorial restriction on your cert you need to get the land cleared. Contact your own force with any queries, etc.
    As this man says also do as DavidBASC has advised and the best tip I can give you is join BASC

Quote Originally Posted by kimh View Post
    As this man says also do as DavidBASC has advised and the best tip I can give you is join BASC
    Already a BASC member...
    the only condition I have is that I am accompanied by "an experienced centre-fire user". I have a mentor that can sign me of off anytime before, but that condition stays otherwise until I do DSC1

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    Hi,

Any chance you could scan the section of your licence with the conditions and send it to me, i will then get a member of our firearms team to give you a definitive reply

thanks

David

david.ilsley@basc.org.uk
    Thanks, I will do so tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    Hi,

thanks

David

david.ilsley@basc.org.uk
    Very good offer either take him up on it or ask you local FEO, you will get lots of well intended advice on here but you must make sure its correct and only the authorities can tell you, great offer from David at BASC and the advice you get from them will be correct
    Last edited by Ray7756; 05-03-2015 at 21:59.