Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting in natural decline?

Shooting in natural decline?

We seem constantly bombarded by the shooting press and organisations that the biggest threats to shooting are a lead ban, firearms legislation, animal welfare/rights, antis etc. We have just given up a game shoot, and it is more apparent that the biggest threat is that there are virtually no young people coming into shooting, mainly due to cost, that it is actualy in terminal decline anyway. In game shooting, shoots are closing or scaling back everywhere and a 200-bird day now costs around £750 is that really value for money? That seems to be a much bigger threat than what we are being told.

You are probably right. The enemy at the gates is that shooting is regarded as un pc.
    It always amuses me that when any brave reporter is persuaded to hold a gun and have a go at clays for example,most times they struggle to conceal their delight when they hit something.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

In the morning, when I have some time, I will have quite a lot to say on this, what with coming from the non-shooting world in two countries where actually, the situations are pretty similar...
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    We seem constantly bombarded by the shooting press and organisations that the biggest threats to shooting are a lead ban, firearms legislation, animal welfare/rights, antis etc. We have just given up a game shoot, and it is more apparent that the biggest threat is that there are virtually no young people coming into shooting, mainly due to cost, that it is actualy in terminal decline anyway. In game shooting, shoots are closing or scaling back everywhere and a 200-bird day now costs around £750 is that really value for money? That seems to be a much bigger threat than what we are being told.
    Virbius,

Then how would you present a lower cost solution?

Stan

By not incurring the insane costs of the driven shoot format and focusing on low key sustainable harvests from low intensity shooting methods focused on actual hunting, not shooting. That's authentic and environmentally responsible, people like that. Difficult, yes, but it wouldn't take that much to start heading that way. Shoot for the Moon and at worst, you'll land in the stars...
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

"low key sustainable harvests from low intensity shooting methods focused on actual hunting, not shooting. That's authentic and environmentally responsible, "

I'm inclined to agree - from an ethical, a welfare and an ecological view. The trick will be to manage this from within and not have changes forced on shoots from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Virbius,

Then how would you present a lower cost solution?

Stan
    You can't - that is the problem. The cost of getting quarry over the Guns can be prohibitively high, if you rear you have feed costs, heating and the infrastructure required or poults at £x each then feed, wheat, keepers, beaters, trucks, maintenance etc etc etc.

Shooting probably more affordable now than it ever has been
    Plenty of low cost shooting out there if u look around and join a syndicate.
    Or do wot every other boy does and go beating and work/help keeper throu season to get ur keepers day and vermin shooting, wot people have done for generations.
    An awful lot of kids are too idle to do much, i've offered a few young folk days at grouse beating and most cannae be bothered for 50 quid or do 1 day and never come back.

If u go back 40yrs a working class person would not even be allowed on a 200 bird day and buying a day/commercial shoots would be pretty much unheard off. Even 40yrs ago driven shooting was pretty much only for the 'toffs' who would spend entire winters getting invited from shoot to shoot.

The simple fact is birds are not cheap to rear and feed plus the many other expenses, most shoots are not making fortunes, even our wee cheap syndicate cost us 27 quid a bird with no keepering costs or desiel (just rent birds and feed) and thats us shooting just below 40%

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    From what I see here in Cornwall I would say that the opposite is true. More people getting into shooting than ever before.

It can't be on its chinstrap yet. I've just read a job advert for a medium sized shoot (5000 acres) that shoot 60 days a season and average 250 birds a day. Thats a total bag of 15,000 birds so I assume they are releasing 20,000 - 30,000? Someone must be paying for it in some way. Looks like pretty big business to me.

As for no youngsters getting into it, I donít think there ever really was in the driven game world other than sons of landed gentry. Maybe in the '80s a few younger yuppies got involved but apart from that its always been the realm of middle aged men who have reached a stage in their lives/careers where they can find the time and funds to shoot.

One thing I've learnt in life is, with a few exceptions, rich will always be rich and the peasants will always be peasants!
    Last edited by Glyn 1; 05-03-2015 at 23:19.