Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wandering Zero

Wandering Zero

I have a bit of a problem with one of my rifles the zero keeps wandering.

Every time I have taken it out the zero has shifted anywhere between 1 and 3 inches at 150m

Yesterday it was even shifting between groups.

I would shoot a group adjust and confirm zero then go and change target when I shot another group the zero had shifted again.

Suggestions what to check or try below please.

TIA

Make sure your action screws are properly fastened, check the scope clamp screws, & god forbid it's this one have a look at the crown.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Make sure your action screws are properly fastened, check the scope clamp screws, & god forbid it's this one have a look at the crown.
    Action Screws are tight Torqued to 55 lb/in

The Rifle has a Near Picatiny rail and onepiece mount all screws are torqued to recommended settings.

The rifle has been re screw cut and re crowned as the original screw thread was not true to the barrel.

The crown shows a nice even star after firing.

I would now suspect the scope itself.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I would now suspect the scope itself.
    That is what I was thinking, but thought I would ask for opinions.

The groups are very tight all around 0.5 moa.

The the variable zero is driving me crazy.

Do you have a moderator fitted? It may be working loose.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    Do you have a moderator fitted? It may be working loose.
    Yes reflex mod fitted, I did wonder about it being loose but no checked it every time.

check the rear mounting bush is tight on the t8 i had exact same problem and thats what it was

OK, moving on...

rifle/'scope - new or secondhand?
    barrel - light weight sporting or heavy target/bull barrel?
    stock - wood, laminate or compound?
    shot strings - do you allow the barrel and mod. to cool after, say, a five shot string?
    on the range - still or windy?
    on the range - prone or sitting? bipod or supported?

I saw something similar once before. Many suggestions were forthcoming but the problem was identified when the bolt, swivels, sling and mag. were removed and the gun shaken forcefully, close to the ear. Result? A slight rattle confirmed the subsequent 'smith's report that the reticle had broken free of it's mount. Do you have another 'scope? Swapping to that would confirm whether or not it is the 'scope that is at fault.

Written while Corky posted his suggestion. I concur. Part of the benefits of a reflex moderator is the additional support offered by the rear bush.
    Last edited by Iwrch; 28-03-2010 at 08:33.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Try shooting a group without the moderator on, could be the mod?