Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illuminated Reticle

Illuminated Reticle

For stalking how important do you feel it is to have a scope with an illuminated reticle - thats if you use one?

If you don't - then could you please explain why?

Thanks

Steve

I use S&B zeniths which have a flash dot which is clearly visible in any lighting situation ie it works in broad daylight,i use it for woodland stalking mostly as target is easily aquired with the red dot for a quick shot where you might struggle to make out the cross hairs,also use it as light is fading for the same reason.Don't know how much advatage a normal illuminated reticle will give you though other than in near darkness.
    Neil.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Both my scopes have it, I wouldn't be without it now, compairs I suppose to Broadband and dial up internet, if you have never had it, you'll not miss it, but once you have it, you wouldn't go back.

I have not used the function that often, but having the capability is there, and that's the plus for me.

I have it on 2 Mildot reticules, only the very centre cross illuminates and is adjustable to brightness required.

It's not that important for stalking I suppose, plenty more deer are shot without it I'm sure.

TJ

It depends on numerous factors really. You could argue that if you can't see the animal with a standard quality optics, then it is too dark to ethically shoot in the evening as there is less chance of a follow up if needed. The same could be said in the morning although it will become lighter.
    If you are a recreational stalker and don't desperately 'need' to shoot an animal you are better off waiting until the light levels are better.
    However, if you are a more professional type of deer manager and you need to achieve difficult cull targets, it will give you another 15-20 minutes possibly at either end of the day! This can make a huge difference, especially with a species like Fallow who seem to instinctively know when it is too dark to shoot, which is when they emerge!
    It is also useful for last light foxes!
    I have a very fine reticle which would be almost useless without illumination at low light levels.
    You can get by without one, like most things, but once you've had one you won't want to be without it!
    MS

I have an 8X56 S&B with no illumination and must say that I've seen it too dark to make out the deer properly but even then have been able to see the cross hairs so I don't feel any pressing need for illumination. In saying that I've only once used a scope with illumination and perhaps it is one of those things that once you get it you would not be without it. I was out last night right up to the end of legal shooting time and although I could still see the reticle most of the surroundings had turned to a grey mush and for the last 15 minutes or so I don't feel that I could reasonably have shot a deer.

I think it depends on what reticle you are using. If you have a fairly heavy no 4, it will usually be visible for as long as the deer is visible in a good quality scope. If you are using a finer crosshair, Swaro 4a or S&B 7, you can lose them at last light. The 4a on my new Z6 is very thin, it is destined for a 22/250, but is really too thin for a deer rifle.

I taken a few Sika around the edges of conifers on the edge of dark, the red dot was very useful.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

If you are hunting twitchie fallow that like to do the off at the first sniff of dawn & only appear in the last few mins before dark, its a must have item as I have found, I use an S&B illuminted Post with a triangular Illuminted tip, its great but a few people find it hard to get on with, I also have a Z6i on the new 308.

After struggleing on for years without illumination-I would not go back now.

Regards Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lwcdart View Post
    If you are hunting twitchie fallow that like to do the off at the first sniff of dawn & only appear in the last few mins before dark, its a must have item as I have found, I use an S&B illuminted Post with a triangular Illuminted tip, its great but a few people find it hard to get on with, I also have a Z6i on the new 308.

After struggleing on for years without illumination-I would not go back now.

Regards Lee
    Second that. Fallow disturbed by dog walkers many times a day, and long dog coursers at night, are madder than a very mad thing. S&B PMII IL is proving to be The Great Leveller.
    KevinF -

I have a Swaro 8x56 with a traditional reticule which I have shot with for five years. I was always slightly skeptical about the merits of illuminated reticules until I bought a Zeiss 7x50. I reckon that it gives me another 10 to 15 minutes ‘shootable light’. Now that doesn’t sound a lot but……….

I am in the market for another scope at the moment, not quite sure what I will end up getting but one thing is certain, it will have an illuminated reticule

What about the durability of an IR? I am happy to pay the money for a European scope as all being well I'll get a few decades use out of it, but are the electronics of an IR likely to cause trouble down the line? Where do they stand with respect to the long warranties typically offered?