Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 280 AI & thanks to Jager

280 AI & thanks to Jager

Evening all,

I've been meaning to post some info and pictures of the rifle i purchased from James " Jager SA " as some might find it of interest but also to thank James for the work he did on this rifle and other bits for me,
    anyone looking for work done or a custom/semi custom rifle its deffinatley worth speaking to him you can expect honesty & value for money. Thanks monkey spanker for your info on the caliber.

So i finally got around to making some rounds for the rifle which took some time to find everything i was looking for i.e Brass/dies it was like looking for hens teeth but got there in the end, Thanks too Jcambellsmith, also thanks to Spud 1967 Mark was especially helpfully not just a shop but a chap that really wants to help & would go out of his way to do so.
    ive started out with Hornady 139gr Interlock's and as you will see in the pics below they seem to work well.
    I started the loads 10% under the stated max powder and worked up .5gr up to the max. Groups were very good from the get go! bullets touching, As i went through the loads they opening up to around 3/4 inch groups and then one off & max they were tight again. in the info & pics below the load that i find works best is just back from max:

Powder: IMR4350 (55gr) Max is 55.4 in my data book
    Bullets:139gr Interlocks (Hornady)
    primers: Federal Large rifle

Bullets seated 5thou back from the lands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 002.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	53614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 003.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	53615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 001.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	53616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 004.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	53617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 005.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	53618

Regards Tristram

Quote Originally Posted by Tis1979 View Post
    Evening all,

I've been meaning to post some info and pictures of the rifle i purchased from James " Jager SA " as some might find it of interest but also to thank James for the work he did on this rifle and other bits for me,
    anyone looking for work done or a custom/semi custom rifle its deffinatley worth speaking to him you can expect honesty & value for money. Thanks monkey spanker for your info on the caliber.

So i finally got around to making some rounds for the rifle which took some time to find everything i was looking for i.e Brass/dies it was like looking for hens teeth but got there in the end, Thanks too Jcambellsmith, also thanks to Spud 1967 Mark was especially helpfully not just a shop but a chap that really wants to help & would go out of his way to do so.
    ive started out with Hornady 139gr Interlock's and as you will see in the pics below they seem to work well.
    I started the loads 10% under the stated max powder and worked up .5gr up to the max. Groups were very good from the get go! bullets touching, As i went through the loads they opening up to around 3/4 inch groups and then one off & max they were tight again. in the info & pics below the load that i find works best is just back from max:

Powder: IMR4350 (55gr) Max is 55.4 in my data book
    Bullets:139gr Interlocks (Hornady)
    primers: Federal Large rifle

Bullets seated 5thou back from the lands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 002.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	53614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 003.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	53615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 001.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	53616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 004.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	53617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shots 005.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	53618

Regards Tristram
    What speed are you at Tristram?
    So much to learn and so little time left

Tristram. Very well done. To say that I'm a little green with envy is an understatement. Enjoy your new rifle. Best regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    What speed are you at Tristram?
    A friend has our Chrono at the moment so I'm not 100% but I'm expecting around 2800fps,
    i will chrono when I'm out next and post the data.

do you use this caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Tristram. Very well done. To say that I'm a little green with envy is an understatement. Enjoy your new rifle. Best regards JCS
    thanks very much it really is a pleasure to shoot, if you find yourself in sunny Essex your welcome to have a go JCS.

thanks very much it really is a pleasure to shoot, if you find yourself in sunny Essex your welcome to have a go JCS.
    Tristram.
    Thanks very much for your kind offer. I did work in Witham briefly and stayed in Braintree, but that was a long time ago. I do venture south from time to time.
    Regards
    JCS

I load for the 7x64 and 280 Rem, and the standard loading will give 3,000 fps easily with 139/140 gr bullets.

Nosler data says your .280 AI should be around 3,050 fps, with a max of 3,200 fps using 58.0 gr of IMR-4350.

First and foremost, though, you are getting stunning accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Tristram.
    Thanks very much for your kind offer. I did work in Witham briefly and stayed in Braintree, but that was a long time ago. I do venture south from time to time.
    Regards
    JCS
    wow small world Witham is 5 minutes from me, welcome anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I load for the 7x64 and 280 Rem, and the standard loading will give 3,000 fps easily with 139/140 gr bullets.

Nosler data says your .280 AI should be around 3,050 fps, with a max of 3,200 fps using 58.0 gr of IMR-4350.

First and foremost, though, you are getting stunning accuracy.
    thanks yes I'm looking forward to checking, a few of us clubbed together to buy a good chrono it was just unlucky I couldn't use it but will put the data on here next week.

incidentally I'm out after deer this weekend so I'm looking forward to seeing the deer post shot for an inspection on meat damage.

regards Tristram

A friend has our Chrono at the moment so I'm not 100% but I'm expecting around 2800fps,
    i will chrono when I'm out next and post the data.

do you use this caliber?
    Waiting for one to arrive. I was hoping to be nudging 3000 at max loads with a 140. I'm going to start with a 120 TTSX for deer which should be hitting 3150/3200 if I'm lucky. Long range (paper only) will be 162 AMax around the 2900 mark I hope. But I have got a 26" barrel on it. If it shoots as well as yours I will be very happy.
    So much to learn and so little time left