280 AI & thanks to Jager

Tis1979

Evening all,

I've been meaning to post some info and pictures of the rifle i purchased from James " Jager SA " as some might find it of interest but also to thank James for the work he did on this rifle and other bits for me,
anyone looking for work done or a custom/semi custom rifle its deffinatley worth speaking to him you can expect honesty & value for money. Thanks monkey spanker for your info on the caliber.

So i finally got around to making some rounds for the rifle which took some time to find everything i was looking for i.e Brass/dies it was like looking for hens teeth but got there in the end, Thanks too Jcambellsmith, also thanks to Spud 1967 Mark was especially helpfully not just a shop but a chap that really wants to help & would go out of his way to do so.
ive started out with Hornady 139gr Interlock's and as you will see in the pics below they seem to work well.
I started the loads 10% under the stated max powder and worked up .5gr up to the max. Groups were very good from the get go! bullets touching, As i went through the loads they opening up to around 3/4 inch groups and then one off & max they were tight again. in the info & pics below the load that i find works best is just back from max:

Powder: IMR4350 (55gr) Max is 55.4 in my data book
Bullets:139gr Interlocks (Hornady)
primers: Federal Large rifle

Bullets seated 5thou back from the lands.

Shots 002.JPGShots 003.JPGShots 001.JPGShots 004.JPGShots 005.JPG

Regards Tristram

Evening all,

I've been meaning to post some info and pictures of the rifle i purchased from James " Jager SA " as some might find it of interest but also to thank James for the work he did on this rifle and other bits for me,
anyone looking for work done or a custom/semi custom rifle its deffinatley worth speaking to him you can expect honesty & value for money. Thanks monkey spanker for your info on the caliber.

So i finally got around to making some rounds for the rifle which took some time to find everything i was looking for i.e Brass/dies it was like looking for hens teeth but got there in the end, Thanks too Jcambellsmith, also thanks to Spud 1967 Mark was especially helpfully not just a shop but a chap that really wants to help & would go out of his way to do so.
ive started out with Hornady 139gr Interlock's and as you will see in the pics below they seem to work well.
I started the loads 10% under the stated max powder and worked up .5gr up to the max. Groups were very good from the get go! bullets touching, As i went through the loads they opening up to around 3/4 inch groups and then one off & max they were tight again. in the info & pics below the load that i find works best is just back from max:

Powder: IMR4350 (55gr) Max is 55.4 in my data book
Bullets:139gr Interlocks (Hornady)
primers: Federal Large rifle

Bullets seated 5thou back from the lands.

View attachment 53614View attachment 53615View attachment 53616View attachment 53617View attachment 53618

Regards Tristram

What speed are you at Tristram?

Tristram. Very well done. To say that I'm a little green with envy is an understatement. Enjoy your new rifle. Best regards JCS

thanks very much it really is a pleasure to shoot, if you find yourself in sunny Essex your welcome to have a go JCS.

Tristram.
Thanks very much for your kind offer. I did work in Witham briefly and stayed in Braintree, but that was a long time ago. I do venture south from time to time.
Regards
JCS

I load for the 7x64 and 280 Rem, and the standard loading will give 3,000 fps easily with 139/140 gr bullets.

Nosler data says your .280 AI should be around 3,050 fps, with a max of 3,200 fps using 58.0 gr of IMR-4350.

First and foremost, though, you are getting stunning accuracy.

I load for the 7x64 and 280 Rem, and the standard loading will give 3,000 fps easily with 139/140 gr bullets.

Nosler data says your .280 AI should be around 3,050 fps, with a max of 3,200 fps using 58.0 gr of IMR-4350.

First and foremost, though, you are getting stunning accuracy.

thanks yes I'm looking forward to checking, a few of us clubbed together to buy a good chrono it was just unlucky I couldn't use it but will put the data on here next week.

incidentally I'm out after deer this weekend so I'm looking forward to seeing the deer post shot for an inspection on meat damage.

regards Tristram

A friend has our Chrono at the moment so I'm not 100% but I'm expecting around 2800fps,
i will chrono when I'm out next and post the data.

do you use this caliber?

Waiting for one to arrive. I was hoping to be nudging 3000 at max loads with a 140. I'm going to start with a 120 TTSX for deer which should be hitting 3150/3200 if I'm lucky. Long range (paper only) will be 162 AMax around the 2900 mark I hope. But I have got a 26" barrel on it. If it shoots as well as yours I will be very happy.

I had the pleasure of having a go with this rifle today James's work is brilliant awesome groups a great build and none of the bull you get from some rifle builders.
fingers crossed we come across a few deer this weekend mate.

Looking very good with those groups I'm happy you're happy.

Not bad going for so called gun plumber... :D

Looking very good with those groups I'm happy you're happy.

Not bad going for so called gun plumber... :D

Trouble is James I think there's a lot of jealously out there and some rifle builders would like you to think it's some dark art that they have to charge a fortune for and mess you about all the way.
Good for you and a nice rifle build. :thumb:

Trouble is James I think there's a lot of jealously out there and some rifle builders would like you to think it's some dark art that they have to charge a fortune for and mess you about all the way.

Well, I've rebarreled plenty and built quite a few, but I've yet to come across the dark art...its basic engineering chaps nothing more. I made all my on essential tools and they are working just peachy.

I charge what I charge because that's what it's worth to me and you chaps need your toys. ;)

+1

Back