Thread: CWD Loin Recipe

CWD Loin Recipe

Just go 4 loins of CWD out the freezer for Sunday lunch. Can anyone recommend a good recipe please!

Thanks

DS

Slow cooked in white wine,carrots ,onions,leeks,chicken stock,broad beans,mushrooms .<glass and a half of white wine as a rough measure>. cook onions and chopped leeks till softened in a pan with a knob of butter .add the broad beans ,carrots and a pint and arf of chicken stock and the white wine ,lower the loins in and bring to the boil then simmer for half an hour.carefully transfer to a casserole dish and add your mushrooms .put in a moderate oven 160 deg c,for 2 to 3 hours .turn the meat every half hour to prevent drying out .nice glass of """"whatever lubes your thirst atb

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    Slow cooked in white wine,carrots ,onions,leeks,chicken stock,broad beans,mushrooms .<glass and a half of white wine as a rough measure>. cook onions and chopped leeks till softened in a pan with a knob of butter .add the broad beans ,carrots and a pint and arf of chicken stock and the white wine ,lower the loins in and bring to the boil then simmer for half an hour.carefully transfer to a casserole dish and add your mushrooms .put in a moderate oven 160 deg c,for 2 to 3 hours .turn the meat every half hour to prevent drying out .nice glass of """"whatever lubes your thirst atb
    That all sounds lovely and I would like to try it with some lesser venison but I think it is over complicating something as small, tender and simple as CWD loins.

Personally I would heat a knob of butter and a splash of oil in a pan, throw the loins in, very lightly season them, turn them a couple of times to brown on all sides then rest them on a mesh grill before serving on hot plates.

What you put with them is up to you, I would probably have oven chips and frozen peas! Not just because I'm a heathen but because CWD loin is the best venison you can get in my opinion and everything else should be kept simple to ensure that the meat is the star of the show.

Agree with the above. Season well with fresh thyme and black pepper, hot pan for a few minutes on each side, maybe 5-6 mins, let stand for 10 mins then serve rare. Nice bottle of wine to accompany.

Stroganoff? Panfry medallions to medium, then cover & rest. Add crème fraiche and a tablespoon of mustard then add the meat. Serve over boiled rice.

Glyns idea is a good one though. But it must be thin cut fries! Lol
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Agree with Glyn 1.

I would lightly season the meat (salt, pepper and a few dried chilli flakes) and chuck in a hot pan to brown on all sides for only a few minutes. about 30 seconds before taking off the heat add a splash of sloe gin/raspberry gin/port and cranberry sauce.

Serve the loin with chunky ovan roasted chips (with garlic/salt/pepper and chilli flakes), peas and then drizzle the sauce over the top of the meat.

It is THE best way to eat CWD or muntjack loins (in my opinion).

mouth is now definately watering...