Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To counter all the doom and gloom....

To counter all the doom and gloom....

Whilst we're all worried about the imminent demise of shooting, and the lack of new blood if you'll pardon the pun, I picked this up today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425753624.376544.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	53651

My pair, 8 and 10 have been badgering me to "join in with daddy", so I took them to Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove who let them try a couple of rifles until we found one they could both (just) handle. Little 6lbft Crosman Raven, and they've had an utter whale of a time blatting tin cans this afternoon and were most disappointed when the sun went down and brought it to and end.

So there is hope yet! Eldest can start shooting at school this year, but she asked to learn with me first so when she goes to the range she's already better than the boys! Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleicester View Post
    Whilst we're all worried about the imminent demise of shooting, and the lack of new blood if you'll pardon the pun, I picked this up today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425753624.376544.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	53651

My pair, 8 and 10 have been badgering me to "join in with daddy", so I took them to Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove who let them try a couple of rifles until we found one they could both (just) handle. Little 6lbft Crosman Raven, and they've had an utter whale of a time blatting tin cans this afternoon and were most disappointed when the sun went down and brought it to and end.

So there is hope yet! Eldest can start shooting at school this year, but she asked to learn with me first so when she goes to the range she's already better than the boys! Bless.
    Cracking, good for you that's the way forward, reminds me of my daughter when she was about Eight she wanted to paunch and skin rabbits with me, she went on to be a senior scout leader and at camp taught all the lads to process Rabbits.

regards WB

Little 6lbft Crosman Raven, and they've had an utter whale of a time blatting tin cans this afternoon and were most disappointed when the sun went down and brought it to and end.
    Unfortunately the way things are going in Scotland with the SNP this will not be allowed

Ed

Certainly sounds like it's going that way sadly.

Just a word of warning: Doing competitive games or sport results in a winner and a looser and that is not fair to the looser. Therefore there should not be a winner. So therefore there should not be a competition. Just managing to hit the target will make your daughter a winner, and missing it will make all the boys winners as well. They all get a prize, because it is very sad for children if someone doesn't get a prize. Everybody is a winner.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Balls to that.
    Spat beer reading that, cheers

There should allways be winners and losers.
    Winning makes you feel good.
    If you have the right sort of frame of mind loosing makes you tougher, at school I was the one that no one wanted in their team I was a skinny kid with asthma, since leanving school i have won trophys in every sport I have taken part in ( exept rifle shooting but I am working on that ).
    So dont worry about coming second, go get um.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Just a word of warning: Doing competitive games or sport results in a winner and a looser and that is not fair to the looser. Therefore there should not be a winner. So therefore there should not be a competition. Just managing to hit the target will make your daughter a winner, and missing it will make all the boys winners as well. They all get a prize, because it is very sad for children if someone doesn't get a prize. Everybody is a winner.
    I can't quite work out if this is genuine or tongue in cheek...... If the former, seriously!!??? Doesn't teach them much about life really does it? There are always winners and losers, I was never great at sport or competitions and would partake and more often than not come in some mediocre placing, I'm not a gibbering wreck..... I don't lie on the physiatrists sofa in tears reminiscing about loosing sports day....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Well the kids are back from school and both gutted that A, the exploding targets haven't arrived, and B, it's going dark so they can't shoot today.

Result methinks!