Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redding no2 beam scale

Redding no2 beam scale

Hi folks ,just recently got a s/h set of Redding no2 beam scales and when setting them up they seam very slow to settle ,it must take easily 10 sec ?after watching a few vids on utube they all seem settle much quicker ,what can I do about this ? Probs seems a stupid question but I've always used digital scales any help or advice would be great
    Cheers allan

Quote Originally Posted by bigyin View Post
    Hi folks ,just recently got a s/h set of Redding no2 beam scales and when setting them up they seam very slow to settle ,it must take easily 10 sec ?after watching a few vids on utube they all seem settle much quicker ,what can I do about this ? Probs seems a stupid question but I've always used digital scales any help or advice would be great
    Cheers allan
    Is the magnetic dampener in place? Is it out of any air currents? ~Muir

There's no air currents ,there's 2 small magnets underneath with a metal clip and a grub screw holding the clip in but not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest

I had the same problem with a set of redding scales, drove me mad in the end!

Did you find out what the problem was mate ?

Unfortunately not, I tried everything that has been mentioned and in the end put them in the back of the cupboard and got a set of 10-10's, not the cheapest but worth every penny if it saves the frustration of using the Reddings!

I haven.t laid eyes on a Redding scale in years, so I'm not speaking with any real authority here, but can you move the magnets outward towards the beam so as to give them greater dampening effect? And are they installed correctly? So they attract and not repel??~Muir

The Redding No 2 is a good basic scale. Damping on these scales is not usually a problem so it's worth having another go at them. Check that both magnets are there, and as Muir says, they should be attracting. They are about 3/4 inch square and when you remove the single screw that hold the aluminium clip they should stay where they are, just attraction holding them in place. If you want more damping these magnets could be replaces with new "Rare Earth" magnets available for just a 1 or so.

These scale would be just as accurate as the 10/10 scales. The new Redding No 2 looks exactly the same as those made a few years ago but if you have a closer look you will see the graduations marked on the beam on the old scale was very nicely engraved, the newer ones just have a printed tape stuck on the beam.

New scale

old scale
    Last edited by 1066; 08-03-2015 at 16:23.

Thanks Muir and 1066 I'll have a look when I get home and let your no what I find
    Thanks again allan

Thanks lads I just moved the 2 magnets up to base as far as they'd go and it's definetly helped but if it's still not enough when I start using them il look into getting other magnets
    tganks again much appreciated
    cheers Allan