JB paste

leebut

Hi guys

I've recently bought a tub of JB paste to clean out ingrained deposits from inside barrels

its a lapping paste so not something you would use as part of your regular cleaning regime, probably only recommend it's use one a year to bottom out the deposits in a well used barrel

use the compound in a patch with a little bit of light machine or gun oil, best way to use it Is to rod the first four inches of your barrel ten times then rod 8" of the barrel keep going further into the barrel from your breech to the muzzle meaning the breech end will be rodded 70 strokes and the muzzel end would have been rodded 10 times

you will not believe how much muck will come out of your barrel, best bet is to clean your barrel first using your normal barrel cleaning regime then clean it out using the JB paste you won't believe the results

hope this is of some use to you guys

lee

Would be useful to know where you bought it - was it a UK stockist?
I can only find it on Brownells.

I've been using JB Bore paste for 40 years. It really works well. My brother-in-law used it on his .222 once a week: it's still a tack driver.~Muir

I've been using JB Bore paste for 40 years. It really works well. My brother-in-law used it on his .222 once a week: it's still a tack driver.~Muir

Hi Muir.
If you shot your barrels in when new you would not need to use JB paste quite so much :D ;).

On a serious note. To those who have not used it the stuff turns black when being used. Do not keep applying more paste thinking your barrel is really dirty and you need to keep going.

Yorkie.

Like Muir, I have used it for a number of years (well 50% of the time Muir has used it !) Usually after 50 to 70 firings. One thing I do not do is let the patch with JB exit the barrel (crown worries) - use a rod stop thingy so the patch stops a centimetre short of the muzzle.

Like Muir, I have used it for a number of years (well 50% of the time Muir has used it !) Usually after 50 to 70 firings. One thing I do not do is let the patch with JB exit the barrel (crown worries) - use a rod stop thingy so the patch stops a centimetre short of the muzzle.
What worries you?

Each to his own but if I’ve need to use JB I don’t put it on patches but rather on a suitably sized piece of cloth as wrapped around a PH jag and then stroked up and down the bore without exiting.

As an aside don’t make the mistake of thinking you need to keep applying a fresh blob of compound to a patch until one exits the barrel clean as you’ll still be at it in 2020.

K

Hi guys
I've recently bought a tub of JB paste to clean out ingrained deposits from inside barrels

its a lapping paste so not something you would use as part of your regular cleaning regime, probably only recommend it's use one a year to bottom out the deposits in a well used barrel

you will not believe how much muck will come out of your barrel, best bet is to clean your barrel first using your normal barrel cleaning regime then clean it out using the JB paste you won't believe the results
hope this is of some use to you guys
lee

It's not lapping paste. JB Bore paste is harder than copper but softer than steel, so it will not lap your barrel. JB paste is intended to remove excessive copper fouling. It needs to be used with a tight fitting patch so that it gets into the corners of your lands. The proper way to use it is to stroke the entire length of the bore in either direction. One curiosity of JB paste is that it is a light brown, but the moment you put it through the barrel it turns black. This is a reaction, with the steel I presume, it isn't a load of black muck being removed from your barrel. Even if you put JB paste through a spotless barrel, it turns black. If you clean you barrel regularly with a proprietary bore cleaner, one that removes copper, you really won't need JB Bore Paste. I use it once in a blue moon, which is an annual event :) just because.

-JMS

I occasionally use JB paste on a patch wrapped round a nylon brush to reach into the corners of the rifling but only occasionally for a deep clean, correct cleaning with good solvents should generally be enough.

JB compound is most certainly a mild abrasive and will remove far more than just copper. In short if the patch is turning black there is metal being removed. The surface might not show signs of scratching, but the surface is being polished. That is the reason why the patch is black. A good example would be polishing a block of steel with a rag and some Brasso. The rag turns black because of the material being removed through the polishing action.

K

Mike Rock used to recommend JB as part of his break-in process along with paper patches he cut from paper shop towels. I've tried it and didn't find any significant difference than using Sweets 7.62 Copper solvent and Shooter's Choice in combination with cotton pathces. The Sweet for copper fouling and the Shooter's Choise for carbon.

SS

Last edited:
Personally, I do not use JB Paste. I don't know where it is. I looked under the couch without success and in the cupboard under the stairs with the same lack of success.
I will stick to Colgate on a toothbrush:)

Back