Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lynx - article in Sunday Times about reintroduction to control deer.

Lynx - article in Sunday Times about reintroduction to control deer.

Interesting article in today's Times.
    "Could help control Britains population of more than 1m wild deer which lack natural predators. Deer not only damage woodland by overgrazing but also eat the eggs of birds that nest on the ground or in low bushes"

Not in a million years, or have I just learned something new today

[QUOTE=stecad;934835]Interesting article in today's Times.

Not in a million years, or have I just learned something new today[/QUOTE

It's just possible that you have learned something new, I,have known of red deer destroying Grouse nests and eating the eggs, I always thought it was because of the lack of calcium in their diet, in the same way that they eat
    cast antler and old bones they find on the hill.

In a lowland situation and in other species ?

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    Interesting article in today's Times.
    "Could help control Britains population of more than 1m wild deer which lack natural predators. Deer not only damage woodland by overgrazing but also eat the eggs of birds that nest on the ground or in low bushes"

Not in a million years, or have I just learned something new today
    no I've heard that hefore, did somebody not post on here a while back the YouTube clip of a deer eating a bird??

It'll never happen, can you imagine that Joe Public would be happy with releasing big cats into the wild? For all we know they are already there as reports of big cats at large often refer to lynx as the species involved but it's difficult to see the public embracing this. Apparently one of the three proposed sites is an unfenced estate in Norfolk and this must be the least likely to find public acceptance as the others would be in Scotland and Cumbria.

The idea is that the lynx would make a significant impact on the deer population and there are a number of issues here, firstly you'd need a lot of lynx to make an impact, and secondly it's entirely possible that lynx would find domestic stock more attractive. The only positive aspect of introducing lynx would be that they would be a better idea than wolves.

Its a bit precipitous to say it'll never happen - look what has happened over beavers (the animal not the .....) - nobody really wanted this and all experience from Scandinavia points against it - but its happening anyway - justifyyourjob.com??

Oddly, just last month one of our syndicate members found prints in the snow in our wood which looked very much like lynx - cat print way bigger than a 3006 shell.

Personally if I were a lynx I'd be buggered if I'd bother chasing a quick stringy deer when there are lots of slow juicy sheep captive in fields.

They would have to be included under AOLQ though.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Like everything 'in theory' a lot of wot there saying makes sense, but often in practice it falls falt on its face.

It is probably more practical and do able than the ridiculaus idea to re-intro wolves, but it will cost an absolute fortune to do it properley. And as others have said unlee the lynx are very stupid they wil just target the slow stupid sheep rather than a fast deer.
    I notice the scottis beavers are pretty much failing and numbers are either stable or decreasing yet i think the unoffical devon? beaver colony are thriving

Might be surprised how few lynx it would take to alter deer behaviour rather than actually bring numbers down, if u have a herd species using a wood and quite often something jumps on them and ripps hell out of there rump might not be so keen to go into the trees again. Dunno wot sort of kill rate % lynx have but would imagine they will chase and chase and catch afew that are not killed, will severely spook the rest of the herd. deer are clever and will soon learn not to go into the woods as much

Might not be a bad idea. Spread some Lynx about and it would make the fields smell nice.

OK, I'll get me coat

There are a few willing to back the scheme the landed gentry we shall have to wait and see

Might make lamping popular agi'n!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!