Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trophy

trophy

hi guys,how do you guys cut your trophy to mount? Is it worth investing in a saw jig??

I do all mine by eye with a wood saw, from muntjac to fallow. I cut them long nose. Basically removing the teeth and base of skull in a straight line bellow the nasal cavity.
    Last edited by shotguntom; 08-03-2015 at 10:02.

I also do mine freehand, it's not that difficult cut from either side and if you are slightly out then any discrepancy will be in the middle and should not show when it's mounted.

Jigs are available and they usually come with there own saw to fit the jig,jig will last a life time but the saws wear out fairly quickly, and remember if you shoot different species you will need two jigs one for large and one for small, one size does not fit all.

Quote Originally Posted by shotguntom View Post
    I do all mine by eye with a wood saw, from muntjac to fallow. I cut them long nose. Basically removing the teeth and base of skull in a straight line bellow the nasal cavity.
    I do mine like this also
    Attachment 53688

thanks guys ,had thought about need 2 jigs just worried as the roe buck I cleaned is very brittle and scared the jack saw would be too rough.

This will no doubt get some adverse comments but with big red stags I skin the head and then cut through the skull with a chainsaw before boiling out.
    Easy to keep a straight line and you can make a perfect line afterwards with a sanding disc on the angle grinder.

Cyberstag - bit industrial but if it works and the end result looks good can't fault you.
    Bones are good for cleaning dogs teeth, does this also work on chainsaws?

ATB 243 Stalker

Don't know about cleaning the chainsaw, but the brains keep the chain lubricated

I cut mine by Eye but must say its the eye of the onion some times lol.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 08-03-2015 at 19:13.

Thanks to the generosity of Willie Gunn and 2teal I had a gold medal head to mount and thought I'd do a 'proper job' and purchase a jig. I don't think I'm particularly cack-handed, but what I thought would be a relatively easy task really wasn't. The supplied blade was less than efficient. It kept slipping out of the guide bars and i ended up sawing at such a slow pace to make sure it all stayed together I could just have easily done it freehand. I'd save your money and do it as suggested by others - decent saw, start from the outside edges and work in to the centre.