Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back when men were men

Back when men were men

I recently inherited a fantastic set of books entitled British Sports and Sportsmen. In the Big Game and Angling book, published in 1914, I came across the attached photograph. Given that photographic equipment pre The Great War was somewhat less portable than it is today, and this is taken at 15 yards, one has to wonder how big the photographer's balls were!

Hedgehopper

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rhino.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	53687

Does it then show the ph dropping the rhino after the photo? From reading some books from that era I understand that a lot of photographers would employ a ph to invoke a charge so they could photograph it. As up say, they needed it in close for te technology of the day, so after the trigger was pulled on the camera the trigger would be pulled on the big double.

not sure how i feel about the idea, but I guess it's simply a part of history now.

novice

Also bear in mind that the camera was hardly a "point and shoot" model and not easily moved. I have been watching some YouTube clips of PHs facing down elephant charges to closer than 15 yards and they not only have balls but also a huge ability to read an animal's behaviour.

I am sure it was dropped after the picture was taken. Still requires a lot of confidence. 15 yards isn't very far and even a dead rhino will cover some ground!

Where would you aim to drop a charging Rhino at 15 yards? Looking at its head all I can see is Hard! I'd imagine it would keep coming if you planted one in its chest?

sure I would not be there But then even shooting a mad cow which had chased two vets out of a field was about as dangerous as I want to get and I had the farmers pickup to escape onto.
    you have got to admire their skill and courage.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    Also bear in mind that the camera was hardly a "point and shoot" model and not easily moved. I have been watching some YouTube clips of PHs facing down elephant charges to closer than 15 yards and they not only have balls but also a huge ability to read an animal's behaviour.
    And spare underwear������

Worth a look at the wildlife films of Hans and Lottie Haas from the 60's. They also filmed a charging Rhino with what might be called 'British' aplomb.
    Forerunners of many in wildlife filming and definately at the ragged edge their filming of gorillas confirmed that.

Is Lottie the Lady who, after shooting a lion, gives it a good kick to see if it's dead rather than touch it's eyeball with a stick as per LSCL2??

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

I Married Adventure - by Osa Johnson, is the book about Osa and Martin Johnson, who flew around Africa in a biplane, filming herds of animals and up close, too. Osa, a crack and cool shot, covered her husband as he approached lions, oryx, elephants and rhino. She shot several charging animals of all types. The old newsreel films are still out there on the Internet.

I think the scene in the film, Out of Africa, where Issak Dinesan shoots the charging lion, uses footage of a lion shot by Osa as it charged Martin, superimposing the old film with the new.