Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ban Driven Grouse Shooting ePetition

Ban Driven Grouse Shooting ePetition

As I am a bird recorder in North Wales I have been included in the circulation of an emailed exhortation by the local bird recording coordinator to sign an ePetition calling for the banning of driven grouse shooting on the pretext of helping to save the hen harrier from evil gamekeepers. I have replied declining the invitation but feel that Forumites should be aware. Presumably walked up grouse shooting is OK?

Ban driven grouse shooting - e-petitions

There is a strong political tone to the wording referring to wealthy shooters and stating that there are many adverse environmental impacts resulting from driven grouse shooting including discoloured water.

Look at the author

Own agenda

Common knowledge that a breeding pair of Hen Harrier predate ground rodents, meadow pippets and few grouse chicks.

Many estates are subscribing to diversionary feeding, which has been deemed successful - some HH don't take the put out feed, others do.

The petition has a looooong way to go before it has an adverse effect and could be heard in parliament.
    Last edited by Ronin; 08-03-2015 at 13:05.

Just as a side note the 2 nests that were successful were on a moor managed for grouse shooting if I remember correctly.

Scoby270

"In England 2 pairs nested in 2013"

BS

One pair nested in Bedfordshire, have done for the past 4 or so years - and are back again this year. I reported this to the RSPB when I first saw them (without giving them the precise location) when some other crap was being cast forth somewhere and they thought (and probably still do) that I'm mad.

Thats fine by me and I shan't bother them ever again.
    Last edited by Eyefor; 08-03-2015 at 17:20.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Successful fledglings at nest sites in the Peak District and N Lancashire in 2014, not to mention Langholme in Scotland.

Many of the shooting estates are working with interested partners to assist HH being successful - this "petition" does nothing for anyone.

Is this not the same petion that t**t Avery started last year when he had the HH day just before the grouse season started.

On 1 moor in yorkshire will see HH 50% of the days i'm there, we find recently killed grouse all throu the season that are definately BoP kills. While i think diversonary feeding does work at breeding/nesting time. As an aside never seen as many kestrals for a long long time as is on that moor/area, quite rare to se a kestral now locally and they used to be very common. Watched 3 quartering the moor just in front of my butt this keepers day was really nice to watch before the grouse came

But in my opinion by far the biggest probelm HH and other BoP's and even Ravens or other large wing span birds have is they scare the living f**k out of grouse. Will empty a drive just by flying over it. For those that don't know grouse are generally territorial roughly so u would expect to see roughly the same ammount of birds in an area eah time u drive it, sometimes u can go throu a beat and hardly see a bird, yet the time before/after had plenty off birds, even see it with return drives when u should have all the birds from the previous drive plus the resident birds. Most of the bigger moors will move drives/beats to suit the HH's, but smaller moors just have to put up with it can ruin a days shooting
    Just dunno how u will ever get round that.

Our wildlife trust has a talk from the langholm folk shortly so will hear wot there saying about it, but HH's need grouse management but grouse managemnet can not stand large numbers of HH, as happened with the langholm 1 project when HH ate eevery thing on the moor. Langholm is spending 1 million a year the now and still a fair way of shooting driven grouse and being blunt if u cannae produce grouse after last year u never will
    Think the HH rcovery plan is a big step forward but rspb wilnot sign up to it as it means giving grouse shooting some praise and involves brood management which is normal over most of europe

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    "In England 2 pairs nested in 2013"

BS

One pair nested in Bedfordshire, have done for the past 4 or so years - and are back again this year. I reported this to the RSPB when I first saw them (without giving them the precise location) when some other crap was being cast forth somewhere and they thought (and probably still do) that I'm mad.

Thats fine by me and I shan't bother them ever again.
    That is fascinating to hear of Hen Harriers nesting in Bedfordshire. Do you know how many chicks fledged? Hope you got a chance to see the skydancing display and food passes that they are famous for. Do you mind me asking what type of habitat they are using? Marsh and Montagues Harriers nest in reedbeds and arable crops but I think the last record of a Hen Harrier nesting in the lowlands was around a hundred years ago. I'm very surprised that other local people/groups haven't picked up on the Bedfordshire nest, they are very visible at mating/nesting/fledgling time hence the reason, sadly, why they are so easy to persecute.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    That is fascinating to hear of Hen Harriers nesting in Bedfordshire. Do you know how many chicks fledged? Hope you got a chance to see the skydancing display and food passes that they are famous for. Do you mind me asking what type of habitat they are using? Marsh and Montagues Harriers nest in reedbeds and arable crops but I think the last record of a Hen Harrier nesting in the lowlands was around a hundred years ago. I'm very surprised that other local people/groups haven't picked up on the Bedfordshire nest, they are very visible at mating/nesting/fledgling time hence the reason, sadly, why they are so easy to persecute.
    They have had the following number of (surviving to flight) chicks for the years that I've watched them -

They are definitely Hen Harriers (not Montague) and are nesting in long term set aside. I have regularly seen the in-flight food exchange which is fascinating. They have also been seen by an RSPB member (who reconfirmed Hen and not Montague) who refuses to advise RSPB. Also seen by our local Birdman who writes a bit in the village mag.

The reason I first noticed the male was it is so white I thought it was a seagull - until it landed in a tree!!!

There is a thread on here from last year somewhere.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    They have had the following number of (surviving to flight) chicks for the years that I've watched them -

They are definitely Hen Harriers (not Montague) and are nesting in long term set aside. I have regularly seen the in-flight food exchange which is fascinating. They have also been seen by an RSPB member (who reconfirmed Hen and not Montague) who refuses to advise RSPB. Also seen by our local Birdman who writes a bit in the village mag.

The reason I first noticed the male was it is so white I thought it was a seagull - until it landed in a tree!!!

There is a thread on here from last year somewhere.
    Very interesting, thanks. Glyn.

That is amazing, and I'm very jealous! If the RSPB are not interested (more fool them), then please let your County Bird Recorder know. The BTO website gives the contact as
    Bedfordshire
    Steve Blain
    recorder@bedsbirdclub.org.uk

He should be really interested and include it in the county records. He should also have the sense to keep its location secret.