how far north are muntjac?

dazz

only asking as my mate picked one up on the road that was hit by a car in Northumberland ,I didn't know they were this far north,ive never seen or heard of one being up here!!

only asking as my mate picked one up on the road that was hit by a car in Northumberland ,I didn't know they were this far north,ive never seen or heard of one being up here!!

Whereabouts in northumberland

According to today's Sunday Times article on Lynx reintroduction, rampaging Muntjac have destroyed all the Nightingale nests on Mr Huntley's estate in Aberdeenshire. At this rate they'll be in Orkney by Christmas!

Last week I was traveling down the M6 and swear (90%) I saw a dead munty on the hard shoulder just north of Kirby Lonsdale, this was on the south bound side so it must have been thumbing a lift home.
Wingy

Last week I was traveling down the M6 and swear (90%) I saw a dead munty on the hard shoulder just north of Kirby Lonsdale, this was on the south bound side so it must have been thumbing a lift home.
Wingy

Yep, heading south after a holiday gorging on nightingale eggs in Aberdeenshire!

I would love to havea few Muntjac up here, sure they can be managed like any other deer species.They can’t be any more alien than a Beltex

^^ I would love to see some of our knackered woodlands regenerating, a few would become legion in no time. So would propose a line of lynx across the middle of the country to chew up any muntjac vermin that ventured north.

^^ I would love to see some of our knackered woodlands regenerating, a few would become legion in no time. So would propose a line of lynx across the middle of the country to chew up any muntjac vermin that ventured north.

Like feline woodland bouncers.

I know of Preston, I work in Kirkby Lonsdale on a big estate but never seem them but shall keep an open

Last edited:
Someone has taken and displayed a photo in Bacup Park of a muntjack, but there are no details or indication that say it was taken in Bacup Park!
I was out rabbit shooting locally to Bacup one summer evening a couple of years ago while my wife sat and waited in the car to just "watch the wildlife and enjoy the evening". When I got back to the car she told me that she had seen an animal in the distance that she did not recognise. The description she gave me strongly suggested that it was a Muntjack but I'm could not say that it definitely was a Muntjack. I have yet to find any slots or tracks that I could say looked like signs of Muntjack in this area!

Interesting, hear stories of them being seen up the A9 but never any hard proof. Once they get into Kielder forest they will be over the rio tweed in no time.

Back