Thread: Rachet crush for red deer

Rachet crush for red deer

Would hanging 2 padded gates on opposite sides with rachet holes for tightening one side of the gate to the other thus trapping and Imobalising the deer work.?if it does does anyone have any pictures etc? Would help grately

A crush needs to be smooth and quick in operation and release. The normal designs are either drop floor or hydraulic. Ali Loder makes another version, you can contact him through the BDFPA. I suggest you visit some farms or parks that have handling facilities to get a feel for different systems. Glyn.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.222 View Post
    Would hanging 2 padded gates on opposite sides with rachet holes for tightening one side of the gate to the other thus trapping and Imobalising the deer work.?if it does does anyone have any pictures etc? Would help grately
    What are you trying to do? Drench, Cervical AI, cut velvet, etc ?

I like drop floor crushes for the speed & ruggedness (if you're not fast enough stags will often jump up in a hydraulic crush). The hydraulics are the best for velveting as they are less likely to smash the velvet, but not fast if you have a lot of deer tag, drench, etc.

Another alternative to a crush is a "tunnel", height is dependent on the species, but I have seen some farms set up with two different sizes & these worked for red/elk hybrids, straight reds, rusa, fallow & chital (all these are one one place I know of which still use a large & small version of these). The "tunnel" is "Y" shaped & the deer must lower their head horizontal with their back as they enter. The deer are stopped by wooden guillotines/doors, & there is a padded gap at the top where the handler can reach in & grab the deers head & pull it out through the gap. It usually takes two people as one has to hold the deers head while it is tagged, drenched, etc. Some of the benefits are it is very fast if it is set up so the gap is at shoulder height (the floor on the "small deer" tunnel should be raised), the deer can't jump & seem to stress less, & the simplest of things like just being able to place the tools, tags, drench, notepad, etc, on top of the tunnel & right in your face is fast. Naturally hard antlers stags aren't run through a "tunnel".

Unfortunately deer handling (& wild capture) is becoming a lost art down here, I know of several crushes drop floor & hydraulic (some with a carousel) going for nothing ATM.

Sharkey
    Last edited by sharkey; 08-03-2015 at 22:46.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."