Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Stiff chambering

  1. #1

    Stiff chambering

    Any advice on why when I chamber a bullet in my .270 the bolt is unusually stiff to push down into place once forward? I only clean with a bore snake and on close inspection the chambering doesn't look dirty? This takes quite some force sometimes and isn't easy when un bolting either, also Iv tried different ammo and that doesn't help. Not a big problem but bugging me! Cheers

  2. #2
    Strip and Clean the bolt mechanism

  3. #3
    Does it only do it with a round in the chamber?
    remove a round and look for witness marks

    either you are sizing your brass, the chamber is fulll of crap or you have an obstruction somewhere

    what action?

  4. #4
    PPU Brass?
    Dirty Chamber?
    Obstruction?

    need to eat more shredded wheat?

  5. #5
    It's smooth as silk with no round in it, and there's no obvious marks on the ejected cases to suggest obstruction. What's the best way to clean the chamber?? Cheers

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bradstalk View Post
    Any advice on why when I chamber a bullet in my .270 the bolt is unusually stiff to push down into place once forward? I only clean with a bore snake and on close inspection the chambering doesn't look dirty? This takes quite some force sometimes and isn't easy when un bolting either, also Iv tried different ammo and that doesn't help. Not a big problem but bugging me! Cheers
    Is this reloaded brass or factory rounds?
    Is it a tikka?
    dave

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Is this reloaded brass or factory rounds?
    Is it a tikka?
    dave
    Hi Dave, no it's factory ammo federal 130g power shok and it's a bsa cf2

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bradstalk View Post
    Any advice on why when I chamber a bullet in my .270 the bolt is unusually stiff to push down into place once forward? I only clean with a bore snake and on close inspection the chambering doesn't look dirty? This takes quite some force sometimes and isn't easy when un bolting either, also Iv tried different ammo and that doesn't help. Not a big problem but bugging me! Cheers
    Three suggestions:

    Clean the chamber with a chamber mop.
    Clean the bolt lug recess.
    Lightly lubricate the bolt lugs.

    Regards

    JCS

  9. #9
    I once had this with federal factory ammo and it only happened with four rounds in the box, the rest chambered fine.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Three suggestions:

    Clean the chamber with a chamber mop.
    Clean the bolt lug recess.
    Lightly lubricate the bolt lugs.

    Regards

    JCS
    Hi Iv just lubrictaed and cleaned bolt lugs etc and seems no better, there's a small part of the front of the bolt which the bullet case rebate locks into and it looks to me that it's a bit far in?! It moves up and down on a little lug thing maybe this is the issue!

Similar Threads

  1. Why stiff, rigid boot soles
    By Hales Smut in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-12-2014, 11:08
  2. Stiff bolt with factory ammo
    By mjd237 in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 07:24
  3. Stiff bullet seating
    By Tackleberry270 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 15:59
  4. How do I make it Stiff
    By Landy1 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 18:42
  5. tight going in, stiff coming out!!
    By Offroad Gary in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 00:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •