Thread: Rifle/ammunition performance variations.

Rifle/ammunition performance variations.

Does any one have any thoughts on the following?
    I have 2 stalking rifles, a Krico 600 series in .243 Win & a Varberger .270 Win. Using federal ammunition in each [100 grains in the .243 & 130 or 150 in the .270] the varberger will shoot both the [older ranges] 'Classic', with a flat based soft point, & the 'Premier', with the boat-tailed Sierra Game King soft point, equally well at 100 meters with the Premier/ Game Kings having the edge at longer ranges - which is what I would expect.
    However, my Krico groups very well with the 'Classics'; but the group size is more than double this size when using the Premiers - which is strange considering their higher quality components.
    The Varberger has had very little use whereas the Krico has had a lot more rounds through it & I wondered if the barrel was beginning to wear so that the flat based round in the 'Classic' offered a longer bearing surface to the rifling & so out performed the shorter bearing surface of the boat-tailed Game Kings in the 'Premier' rounds, whereas in the much 'newer' Varberger this was not an issue.
    Does this seem likely or is it merely a quirk of the rifle or a function of the twist rate?
    It doesn't affect my use of either, merely influence my ammunition choice; but if any one has an explanation for this I would welcome your thoughts.
    As an aside, do the new Ranges of Federal ammunition approximate to the older ranges in terms of performance & the differences between them, or are they quite different?

Best wishes, Tyke

Quality of components although important, is not the main factor that affects different rifles / ammunition combinations, as you will read on this site, explanations where given will always come back to, your rifle just doesn't like "X, Y or Z" but you could try " A or C". Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Steve is right. Think of it this way: A guy dates two identical twin sisters. One likes steak and eggs. The other likes steak but detests eggs. Rifles are no different; especially when different calibers and makes. I have a pair of rifles that are consecutively serial numbered and identical in every way yet they have distinctly different ammunition likes. ~Muir

I'm so glad I spotted this thread, and sorry for the hijack, but I need to get in first. Muir, where do I go to get dating identical twins? I'm not at all fussy on what they like to eat, within reason, and clearly I don't want anyone telling my girlfriend about this enquiry.

Muir,

sorry for my delay in replying, I've just got back from buying 2lbs of sirloin & a dozen eggs, now what did you say their phone number was?

Regards, Tyke.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I'm so glad I spotted this thread, and sorry for the hijack, but I need to get in first. Muir, where do I go to get dating identical twins? I'm not at all fussy on what they like to eat, within reason, and clearly I don't want anyone telling my girlfriend about this enquiry.
    \

Only in America, guys. ~Muir

Muir - have a look at the Double Rifles and Professional Hunter thread in General Discussion - ist this what you are looking for?