Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 Factory Round For Hinds.

308 Factory Round For Hinds.

I've a invite for a hill stalk and want to take my R8, 308. I don't reload and I've just got the 308 barrel, I've had it on the range yesterday and it seams not to be fussy about any of the rounds I put through it. From PPU 143grn, SST 150grn, 168grn Hornady Match and some home loaded Berger 168grns. It liked them all. It did however get the Blaser click with a friends home loaded 168grn SSTs. On inspection the ones that failed to fire looked fractionally longer over all. They had also not been struck. They were his hunting round for his Sauer 200..Is this common? Can you recommend a good factory 308 round for hill stalking? I've used Hornady SSTs exclusively in my 243 to great effect.

Cheers, cjs

My Dad's used this for 20+ years - Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle and I use it the odd time too. Regards JCS

I like the Sako 123gr. Works fine for me on the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by cjs66 View Post
    I've a invite for a hill stalk and want to take my R8, 308. I don't reload and I've just got the 308 barrel, I've had it on the range yesterday and it seams not to be fussy about any of the rounds I put through it. From PPU 143grn, SST 150grn, 168grn Hornady Match and some home loaded Berger 168grns. It liked them all. It did however get the Blaser click with a friends home loaded 168grn SSTs. On inspection the ones that failed to fire looked fractionally longer over all. They had also not been struck. They were his hunting round for his Sauer 200..Is this common? Can you recommend a good factory 308 round for hill stalking? I've used Hornady SSTs exclusively in my 243 to great effect.

Cheers, cjs
    150gn Federal Powershoks work great in a .308 R8 and wont break the bank, did a great job for me recently on the red hinds in Scotland... If you can get hold of any, Norma Alaska also work great but are twice the price... Just PX'd my .308 R8 pro for an R8 Pro Success in 6.5x55.. as you aren't far away I have 4 boxes of Powershok you can have for 20 a pop if you like?

what ever you currently use will be fine
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

150g RWS spire point.

However, would have though hinds were out of season by now

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    150g RWS spire point.

However, would have though hinds were out of season by now
    March 31st in England....

The Hornady SST is a great bullet choice I think. I use it in a 6.5x55 & there a good round.

I just used PPU 150's when I went. My mates were laughing at the cheapo box, lack of plastic cartridge holders and the rough sawn look of the bullets- until I put three touching on the test target on day 1

sako 123 gr nice to shoot never had any probs