Thread: Lead or lead substitute ?

Lead or lead substitute ?

There is a degree of concern floating about since the revelation of leaks from the Lead Ammunition Group that its Chair might (allegedly) have reached the conclusion that lead will be banned for all forms of shooting (after due process). The Chair should be impartial, naturally, but does anyone here feel concerned; either about the 'leaks' or the apparently imminent report of the L.A.G. ?
    I was involved in a similar thread in another place but it could be that no-one wants it talked about ?
    Any thoughts, as I am fairly certain lead free stalking would be on the list to avoid contamination for consumption - at least according to what I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    There is a degree of concern floating about since the revelation of leaks from the Lead Ammunition Group that its Chair might (allegedly) have reached the conclusion that lead will be banned for all forms of shooting (after due process). The Chair should be impartial, naturally, but does anyone here feel concerned; either about the 'leaks' or the apparently imminent report of the L.A.G. ?
    I was involved in a similar thread in another place but it could be that no-one wants it talked about ?
    Any thoughts, as I am fairly certain lead free stalking would be on the list to avoid contamination for consumption - at least according to what I have read.

pointless

Solving of a problem that does not exist
    The ocean is full of plastic choking all manner of things...what do we ban? Lead...but put them in a plastic cup!

the deaths due to lead poisoning compared to those that die from Cancer linked to Diesel Particulate matter don't even register.
    Do we ban diesel buses and taxis in cities? no.....

This is one more attack on a group wrongly perceived to be privileged or from a certain class system.

I look forward to the MOD commenting on moving ALL their projectiles to non lead based.....

We have all managed to live for quite some years without a ban on lead. Not sure what the "statistics" say about lead poisoning in humans through lead poisoning in venison, but I doubt it even registers.

However, logic does not always work and politics always gets in the way.

I think that although its wrong, at some point we will have to live with a lead ban, which is why I'm playing with barnes bullets at the moment to find out how they are best used.
    So much to learn and so little time left

I agree with the above sentiment, the amount of lead deposited in the landscape by stalking rounds must be inconsequential, and am probably most concerned about the ballistic performance (and price) of non lead but I watched a YouTube clip of Bob Nosler, CEO of Nosler, using them and they seemed absolutely fine ballistically.