Thread: Hornady primer pockets

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Hornady primer pockets

Recently I bought a .243 and having a friend that shoots one, I recently collected 50 spent Hornady Superperformance cases from him for reloading.
    This evening I started the process and after depriming them all thought I'd use the K&M primer pocket uniformer to get the burnt residue out.
    However when I looked at the tool there was a hell of a gap between the tool and the case rim. Something I had not seen to such an extent before.
    I then checked what the seating depth of primers is supposed to be and found that the Hornadys were woefully out and I find on further searching of the web that this is not an uncommon problem with Hornady.
    Thought it would be worth a mention as I now have lots of reaming to do to put these primer pockets right.

Any thoughts from the reloading massif?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I found hornady brass a bit odd also,used 55g vmax and 60g tap brass in the 223 all seams fine just feels softer than my usually ppu brass to load. Now in the 308 I primed some neck sized 150g sst brass and they seamed a little tight,on further inspection I was getting little half moon shape bits swarf when priming. I really should get some primer pocket uniformers.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Here's a table I found for those of you interested.
    Clean Hornady primer pocket unreamed at .120
    http://ballistictools.com/articles/p...d-diameter.php
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I had the same problem with Hornady cases using a Lee Handprime. Having to use both thumbs on the lever seems dangerous to me. I got a K&M pocket uniformer very speedily from Spud. It was pulling so much brass from the pocket that sometimes it was binding and spinning the case making it difficult to hold still.
    I hope that having been done once,they will now be ok.

Yep, had the same, all had to be reamed out, once done it's fine but a pain in the arse.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Yep, had the same, all had to be reamed out, once done it's fine but a pain in the arse.....
    It usually is a pain first time-so I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    It usually is a pain first time-so I've heard.
    Never tried it persoanlly Brian, but do enlighten us........?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Its what I've heard. No personal experience though.

Bryan.

Yes it's a pain to do but you only have to do it once, but as I get the cases given to me I put up with it for free brass.