Nose bot fly in UK

Elcorzo

Hello,

I am looking for information about nose bot fly in roe deer in UK. Regional distribution, impact and if there is some scientific reports about your country. I didn´t succeeded when seeking in scholar Google apart from the info I read here and a couple of blogs. I read some years ago some of the Prior´s books and he said that there were not knowledge in Great Britain of this roe deer disease.

In the North of Spain roe deer are devasted since this fly came with imported French roe deer to some fenced estates. Mortalities around 80% have been recorded. A enormous disaster!

Thenks in advance.

Regards from Spain,

Gerardo Pajares

Hello,

I am looking for information about nose bot fly in roe deer in UK. Regional distribution, impact and if there is some scientific reports about your country. I didn´t succeeded when seeking in scholar Google apart from the info I read here and a couple of blogs. I read some years ago some of the Prior´s books and he said that there were not knowledge in Great Britain of this roe deer disease.

In the North of Spain roe deer are devasted since this fly came with imported French roe deer to some fenced estates. Mortalities around 80% have been recorded. A enormous disaster!

Thenks in advance.

Regards from Spain,

Gerardo Pajares

Is this the same bot fly that effects Red deer,have seen it often enough in Red deer but never in Roe.

No. The roe deer nose bot fly is Cephenemyia stimulator. Those one that affects to red deer are C. auribarbis and Pharyngomia picta, at least here in Spain.

hey I have seen it in roe in the Netherlands, never seen it here. they will die from it if bad enough, I think the record I have seen was about 50 to 60 bots(various sizes) from one roe. she was skin and bones and snoring when she was shot by a hunter and brought in for pm.

This is just my own thoughts on this, but what about soaking grain in drench or adding the drench to a liquid/molasses based drench to control this? I know it might be "off licence" but i also know from experience it works.

Sharkey

hey yes any drench type wormer would probably kill them, but as you said of licence so not allowed to be used in deer. plus you are responsible for the meat withhold periods. and I am asuming we are not talking farmed deer so no way of ensuring this. If something is shot and tests positive (some wormers are dangerous when ingested, for instance give birth defects etc) you are in a lot of trouble.

not to mention the whole resistance problem that might blow over into commercial livestock.

I would also be a bit concerned to ensure uptake is not under or overdosed...

Back