Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 'Mark forums read'

  1. #1

    'Mark forums read'

    I must have hit the "mark forums read" button by accident, it's not the first time, and when it happens it's really annoying as I tend to use the 'new posts' button as my main navigation for the forum and by hitting that button, it will now take a week or so before things return to how they were before.....
    am I being dim, what's the purpose of that button? I can't see it being anything but frustrating, or is it just me?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I must have hit the "mark forums read" button by accident, it's not the first time, and when it happens it's really annoying as I tend to use the 'new posts' button as my main navigation for the forum and by hitting that button, it will now take a week or so before things return to how they were before.....
    am I being dim, what's the purpose of that button? I can't see it being anything but frustrating, or is it just me?
    for me it works like this, I hit the new posts button, skim down, reading those threads that catch my eye, then I hit mark forums read, the next time I log on and look for new posts only the new posts show up, not all the threads I didn't read last time.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    for me it works like this, I hit the new posts button, skim down, reading those threads that catch my eye, then I hit mark forums read, the next time I log on and look for new posts only the new posts show up, not all the threads I didn't read last time.
    I get that, but if you've read a post, and it's not been updated, it is no longer displayed in bold, so it's evident which have and haven't changed since the last visit.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  4. #4
    Just don't press the red button!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I get that, but if you've read a post, and it's not been updated, it is no longer displayed in bold, so it's evident which have and haven't changed since the last visit.....
    true but this way I get 1-4 pages instead of 6+
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    true but this way I get 1-4 pages instead of 6+
    Really, I hit the mark forums read button after breakfast this morning, now I get 7 pages.

    Neil.

  7. #7
    What I find annoying is that threads I've read or replied to disappear from the list and so can't be revisited until someone else posts without using the search function, also why isn't there an option to go straight to the last page of any particular thread?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    ...why isn't there an option to go straight to the last page of any particular thread?
    To the left of a thread title, there should be a little green circle with down arrows in it.

    If you click that, it will take you to the first new (to you) post in the thread since you last read it.

  9. #9
    Thank you, something learned.

    But I still have to to the first page, on other forums you can go straight to the last page from the thread list.
    Last edited by paul k; 11-03-2015 at 23:08.

  10. #10
    You can go to first unread (1) or straight to last post (2) from the thread listing, here...



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	53827


Similar Threads

  1. shooting forums , how many are you in?
    By tackb in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 17-09-2014, 16:05
  2. Mark Forums Read button not working with iPad
    By Chris Rob in forum Site Help/Problems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 22:21
  3. New to forums?!?!
    By Richardemsley in forum Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 14:18
  4. Sub-forums
    By yabanjin in forum Site Help/Problems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 07:55
  5. Fishing forums
    By Henry Straker in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-10-2009, 22:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •