Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer stalking permissions

Deer stalking permissions

Hi
    I'm really struggling to find deerstalking land I've got my 243 come through and I have got land to use it on but we have very minimal if any as there are no woods around my area. The ones that are on there I'd prefer to see when I'm out than shoot and reduce the odd ones to none. All the land I've asked have either already got someone who already does it or its paid stalking but that's very difficult to find the funds for that being only 20 and on apprentice wages. I'd be happy to to just go along and watch to see what is involved in deerstalking. If anyone fancies a day wildfowling I can offer that or pigeon and vermin shooting.
    Thanks Ben

Hi Ben .I'll take you out for a day on the fallow in sussex to give you a start ..

Thanks for the offer ile send you a PM I in suffolk but I'm more than willing to travel.
    Thanks Ben

Just keep looking, applied for FAC .22 rim .22-250 and .270..... Had initial visit from feo and he poo'd my permission as it was a tenanted farm. So went out and asked two other farmers ( I am a dairyman and know a few ) so from feo declining perm I got 1500 acres sole shooting rights for deer fox and vermin ( plus game) within 24 hours . loads of roe on there as well. Just waiting for licence now. Just keep asking locally but like you said deer stalking perm is like rocking horse poo

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmart View Post
    Just keep looking, applied for FAC .22 rim .22-250 and .270..... Had initial visit from feo and he poo'd my permission as it was a tenanted farm. So went out and asked two other farmers ( I am a dairyman and know a few ) so from feo declining perm I got 1500 acres sole shooting rights for deer fox and vermin ( plus game) within 24 hours . loads of roe on there as well. Just waiting for licence now. Just keep asking locally but like you said deer stalking perm is like rocking horse poo
    Why may i ask was a tenanted farm not acceptable?

Aren't a lot of tenanted units National Trust owned? That would mean that they would have to give the permission as opposed to the tenant farmer - National Trust is a tough nut to crack I hear

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    Aren't a lot of tenanted units National Trust owned? That would mean that they would have to give the permission as opposed to the tenant farmer - National Trust is a tough nut to crack I hear
    Did not know that, have a tenanted farm in the West country as one of my perms, FEO confirmed it was on the system cleared for full bore and as such I shoot it..

Feo said categorically no tenanted farms...unless permission from land owner or factor.. Said they are clamping down on it?

Maybe the reason was that the FEO knew that a farming tenant can't give permission to control deer on the land, that has to come from the landowner. However a farming tenant can authorise someone to shoot vermin, as the vermin shooting rights usually rest with the tenant.

I have fallen into this trap myself, where I was given permission by a farmer to shoot deer on 'his' land, only to find out years later that in fact the land was owned by somebody else. Something for all of us to be aware of.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    The National Trust usually requires the DSC2 before issuing a stalking license. However, there are plenty of National Trust sites where, for example, one DSC2 holder is the Licensed Stalker, and three others are 'authorised' on his license. Of those three others at least TWO also have to be at DSC2 level, but ONE is allowed at DSC1 level. My understanding is that the NT regional countryside manager, their Land Agent and the site manager have the power to exercise a lot of discretion in what they will and will not allow. If you stalk on a non-commercial basis and offer to share the venison with the regional NT staff or supply their catering outlets on visitor sites it becomes a win-win-win.
    Last edited by Erik Hamburger; 10-03-2015 at 20:32.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....