Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparrows

Sparrows

Just looked out the window and 40 odd sparrows in the hedge, just being well sparrows. Got me thinking, I haven't seen a flock of sparrows like that for many years.

Do you feed them? I've got at least that many in and around my garden every day. I put out loads of seed and fat balls for them.

Rare nowerdays as loss of nesting sites, I need to put up a communal sparrow nest box as they can no longer nest in my house roof. As a kid i can remember big flocks of sparrows on barley in the late summer, not seen that for years.

D

making a comeback here got loads last 3/4 years,
    DONT START

sparrows starlings and swifts all but non gone from around this area.

A nest box sounds like a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Rare nowerdays as loss of nesting sites, I need to put up a communal sparrow nest box as they can no longer nest in my house roof. As a kid i can remember big flocks of sparrows on barley in the late summer, not seen that for years.

D

I put a number of nest boxes up a few years ago including a pheasant feeder in the garden full of corn all year round, i now have loads of sparrows in the garden great to see them back.

I haven't seen a sparrow in my part of London for ages, there used to be loads.
    However, there are loads of grey squirrels, magpies and cats here.............
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

When I were a lad they were shot with elastic and forked ash. A marble being the preferred projectile. When we had murdered at least 30, Gran' would stoke up the fire pit and bake a sparrow & larks tongue pie.

Makes me feel a little guilty now as I love to see a Spadger or two mooching along the gutters.

K

I have a big number roosting in my hedges and I have put nest boxes on my house which usually see 3 clutches a year. They also evict the House Martins from their newly-built nests in the eaves!

They get fed well by sharing the chicken's grub too!!