Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First trail cam hit...

First trail cam hit...

Thanks to a member on here, I installed my first trail cam at the weekend. Being a complete berk, I also failed to set it up correctly so captured quite a few pics of the ground, Sky, my knees and sundry other irrelevancies.

Last night however it captured something more useful. An ear and an arse.

My wildlife identification may be lacking, but even I know that wasn't the fox or badger I was expecting....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426116042.156453.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	53828

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426116052.847110.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	53829

I have hopefully tweaked the settings so tonight I may be luckier and get a face. Or more knees. Or even these new fangled moving pictures.... Here's to hoping.

Looks like a muntjac.

The shape of the ear and that it does not appear to be covered by hair, says Muntjac to me.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleicester View Post
    Thanks to a member on here, I installed my first trail cam at the weekend. Being a complete berk, I also failed to set it up correctly so captured quite a few pics of the ground, Sky, my knees and sundry other irrelevancies.

Last night however it captured something more useful. An ear and an arse.

My wildlife identification may be lacking, but even I know that wasn't the fox or badger I was expecting....

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426116042.156453.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	53828

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426116052.847110.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	53829

I have hopefully tweaked the settings so tonight I may be luckier and get a face. Or more knees. Or even these new fangled moving pictures.... Here's to hoping.
    The thread in my Swan trail cam is 1/4 Whitworth, the same through out the camera world.

I have made up stakes for mine and mates who use them, just a bit of 6-8 mm rod with a 1/4 Whitworth bolt welded on the top.

With the stake I find your options of getting a better position is much better, I never put mine in front of a tree, but to the side of it, then you can set the height, also move it back in the hedge as quite often we ( I ) set them to close.
    Let the lens do its work.

Security wise, yes you can pick it up and walk of with it, so can you unclip the webbing strap or come back with a set of bolt croppers.

For me, less is more.....

The less fuss you make of it...the more chance you have of keeping it...

My money is on a Muntjac....So good luck

Tim.243

What was interesting was the first night it was smeared with mud - something obviously wandered past, smelled me and had a good nose around the camera.

To be honest I'm not too bothered about security, the chances of there being anyone other than myself or a couple of alternative trusted parties wandering around are pretty remote. Placement will take some practice, and yes I was thinking of rods or stakes as quicker and more convenient than strapping to a tree.

This current position there just happened to be a helpfully placed tree to attach to though clearly I'm pointing at the tree opposite rather than down the cleared line to the left. Will get better I'm sure!

This is what I found, the stake you can tweak....tree's naturally taper so making the camera lay back, apart from packing it out at the top (which will want to fall away every time you go to tighten the strap )

The last one I made for a mate was from a tripod shooting stick as I snapped a leg off because it was getting right on my tits one night....however I kept the lower half and ran a 1/4 wit die down the locking bolt that went up inside the bigger leg...
    Best place for it as it was no use on those sticks lol

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 12-03-2015 at 08:58. Reason: sticky " U " key

Hi Im glad you have had some success with it!
    Yeh I think a bit of tinkering with the settings may help. Let me know if you have any tips because I haven't used mine much.
    Im quite impressed with the night pictures because I hadn't seen them until now.
    Im only used to red/roe and it doesn't look like them! i would guess munty too

Will do! Have re-sited again tonight, slightly off to the left so it's looking more obviously down the bramble patch rather than straight into the next tree, and adjusted for shorter exposure time and video as well. We shall see!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    I have made up stakes for mine and mates who use them, just a bit of 6-8 mm rod with a 1/4 Whitworth bolt welded on the top. Security wise [...] less is more...
    That's an excellent idea, thankyou.

You can buy low-profile cameras and paint them with Krylon but the straps are almost always a give-away, as are cables and padlocks, and neither will deter the determined thief or saboteur. Concealment is the best way, and the kind of mount you describe seems a very good way to achieve it.

Do you know if something like this is available commercially? (I'm not a welder!)
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    That's an excellent idea, thankyou.

You can buy low-profile cameras and paint them with Krylon but the straps are almost always a give-away, as are cables and padlocks, and neither will deter the determined thief or saboteur. Concealment is the best way, and the kind of mount you describe seems a very good way to achieve it.

Do you know if something like this is available commercially? (I'm not a welder!)
    I can knock you something up buddy, and you're not a million miles from me. I work in B62 so only just out of Brum. let me know what you want.