PPU Grom 30 cal 170 grain bullets for 308?

LeftHandGuy

As the title suggests, is anyone loading these for 308 Win, and if so, how do they rate the performance on deer? And/or, any other observations about them.

I'm thinking about what I'm going to do when my 150 Hornady Interlocks run out, and I have a yen to go a little heavier, as well as a desire to be less dependant on unredictable supplies of bullets from the US.

The price of the PPU bullets isn't too high either, which obviously doesn't hurt!

I wanted to try the factory grom ammo in my 308 but after I emailed the importers they stock other calibres but not factory ammo in 308!

Tried some for a friend, maybe 10y ago. Very accurate, copper fouling was significant. My friend reported good terminal performance on moose and boar.

Home loads, just dug this out from my emails: N150 with a charge that effectively represents the maximum in current Vihtavuori data for same weight monometal bullet (Naturalis). The OAL was significantly over 71mm though, and the muzzle velocity was somewhat higher. I dropped the load a bit to be in comfort zone. The year was indeed 2005.

.308 Winchester - Rifle reloading - Reloading Data - Vihtavuori

Thanks. I would probably be using N140, if for no other reason than that's what I have. Do you think these bullets are too tough for smaller deer like Roe?

Do you think these bullets are too tough for smaller deer like Roe?

They wouldn't be my first choice if roe was the biggest species I would hunt. I don't have any data to back this up, but I'd like to go lighter (better trajectory) and also the copper fouling would have to be addressed (whether it would be present in a particular barrel and if it would have an effect on accuracy).

I know you guys have a problem since expanding bullets are counted towards the limit(s) on your FAC, here in Finland only thing restricting the possession of bullets is funds available (and limits for assembled cartridges are also quite high, upwards from 20k).

They wouldn't be my first choice if roe was the biggest species I would hunt. I don't have any data to back this up, but I'd like to go lighter (better trajectory) and also the copper fouling would have to be addressed (whether it would be present in a particular barrel and if it would have an effect on accuracy).

I know you guys have a problem since expanding bullets are counted towards the limit(s) on your FAC, here in Finland only thing restricting the possession of bullets is funds available (and limits for assembled cartridges are also quite high, upwards from 20k).

Mostly fallow is what I'm interested in. Perhaps I should look at something a bit more conventional. S&B do some 150 and 180 grain soft points - perhaps these might be OK/better?

If you're not shooting something small like foxes, the trajectory doesn't matter much.

You can fling 150gr out of 308 with substantial velocity, but cup'n'core bullet should be fine if you can choose your shots. Close shots at shoulder, like for driven game, may be a bit problematic.

Problem with GROM is, that even though it's kind of "monometal" it contains some lead in the front part, so it wouldn't satisfy any leadfree requirements like other monometals do.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say the S&B bullets you mentioned are faster to expand than GROM. So would be better suited to your needs. I could shoot some GROM to wet phone books at various speeds, but frankly that tells nothing regarding the performance in roe deer. I could load some and use them for raccoon dogs, which would give some indication how rapidly they expand, but I much prefer to use 223 for small predators.

If you're not shooting something small like foxes, the trajectory doesn't matter much.

You can fling 150gr out of 308 with substantial velocity, but cup'n'core bullet should be fine if you can choose your shots. Close shots at shoulder, like for driven game, may be a bit problematic.

Problem with GROM is, that even though it's kind of "monometal" it contains some lead in the front part, so it wouldn't satisfy any leadfree requirements like other monometals do.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say the S&B bullets you mentioned are faster to expand than GROM. So would be better suited to your needs. I could shoot some GROM to wet phone books at various speeds, but frankly that tells nothing regarding the performance in roe deer. I could load some and use them for raccoon dogs, which would give some indication how rapidly they expand, but I much prefer to use 223 for small predators.

Cheers,

I'm mostly curious at the minute, I'd like to find a reasonably priced non-US produced bullet for general purpose deer stalking, and that is likely to remain available to UK shooters.

It isn't critical, but I'm just a bit fed up of not being able to rely on what should be widely available popular bullets. My local RFD has had Sierra 150 grain Pro Hunters on order for me since September.

I couldn't care less who makes a bullet, so long as it works as it should, and that being granted, that I can get the damned things again when I need them.

Therefore, perhaps the S&B will get a try. Any idea on how the "cut edge" behave on game relative to the standard SP? I believe both are essentially copper jacket cup and core bullets. They seem to resemble RWS cone point bullets, but how that makes them better I don't know....

Back