Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Practical Tips on using the Swarovski 4A reticule

Practical Tips on using the Swarovski 4A reticule

Hello gents

Based on advice from people more experienced than I, I have relieved Gregor of 1 his Habicht 8x50 scopes from his ever dwindling stash.

I have never used said reticule.

Are there handy tips or tricks people have learnt, such as range estimation etc? As it is fixed magnification, I hope I there are some tried and tested practical tips...?

Cheers

The 4A ret is a thin basic ret there's nothing that you could really use for bullet drop or range estimation

Perhaps it's one I owned. I just aimed and shot deer with it for ~10 years. I certainly didn't possess any range finding equipment at the start of those 10 years. I didn't over think what I was doing.

I zeroed the rifle to hit 1 inch high at 100 yds and just kept shooting and practicing.

I'm not sure what else there is to do?

Regards

JCS

the only thing i can think of is send it to me for a period of no less than twelve months i will road test it for you then send all my field trial results back to you for your perusal,regards doug, oh ps make sure its wearing its optilok overcoat as we dont want it to be cold out,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    the only thing i can think of is send it to me for a period of no less than twelve months i will road test it for you then send all my field trial results back to you for your perusal,regards doug, oh ps make sure its wearing its optilok overcoat as we dont want it to be cold out,
    Doug makes a good point. If I'd just bought a Swarovski 8 x 50 today, I would be taking some steps to protect the bell. At least I'd have a Butler Creek cover or similar on the bell.

Regards

JCS

8x fixed mag 4a reticule should present an average size roe doe chest to backside in between the thicker horizontal bars @ 100yds - fat bar to crosshairs = 200yds - 2xtimes the fat bar space = 50yds etc.

To to be fair though, zero inch high @ 100 and shoot straight at the engine room - if you're a 'necker', get a rangefinder and the Swaro app

I have two of them and as mentioned above zero an inch high at 100m.

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    The 4A ret is a thin basic ret there's nothing that you could really use for bullet drop or range estimation
    Yes there is. The distance between the thick horizontal cross hairs should equal 70cm at 100m. Not by conincidence, this is the lngth of a roe. So, if the broadside roe fills that gap, he is 100m from you. If he fills half of the gap, guess what? Yep, he's 200m from you. Similarly for the 7 and 7A - only the gap is 1m not 70m. And that fits the red deer. It's very handy.

-JMS

Jeez, what a lot of technical stuff. If your zero is right you should be on or thereabouts at 100 to 250. So as others have said, just take your shot. If you are at a different distance then polish your stalking skills and get closer!!

I was replying to this and lost my detailed post so this may be shorter!
    One of the great advantages of a fixed mag scope with an A4 recticle is being able to judge the distance of an object when you know its approximate size.
    I have a Swaro 8 x 56 with A4 recticle bought off Gregor some time back. If you look at the 'Technical data' leaflet that comes with it it will give you the dimensions between the heavy posts (and other points) in inches at 100 yards and cms at 100 metres. As Hereford has pointed out you can then go figure what a roe should look like in your recticle at 100 yards, 150 yards, 200 yards etc...
    A big advantage IMO is that it is a sanity check when shooting over large fields / open spaces where distance estimation can be tricky. If you are zeroed an inch high at 100 yards and engine room shooting you are probably good aiming bang on to 200 yards, but you don't want to mistake 230 yards for 180 yards (at least with most deer calibres).
    In case you haven't got 'Technical data' leaflet the distance between the two heavy horizontal posts (i.e. the length of the fine line) is 50 inches at 100 yards (with a Swaro A4 recticle on an 8 x 50 or 8 x56 scope). So if your average sized roe is about 33 inches across then it will fill approx two thirds of the distance between the heavy posts at 100 yards half the distance at 150 yards and the whole distance at 67 yards. You need to work out yourself what sight picture you should get given your size of quarry and given distances.
    Hope this helps.