Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope cant

Scope cant

While discussing setting up a scope a few weeks ago it was agreed that the standard method was to ensure that the rifle was level then set the scope level to ensure that both where in line, Would I be right in thinking that in many instances the rifle snugs into the shoulder at a slight angle (the top leaning toward your head) If you then level the scope, tighten it down and zero it on the range it would shoot as good as the standard method?
    I know that to hold the scope off the vertical after its been zeroed will result in inaccurate and inconsistent shots.

but what happens when you stick it on bags/bench or vice rest etc it would still be canted,so its easier just to do it standard, atb doug
    DONT START

Only relevant at long range

I hadn't thought of that, but surely a nice comfortable fit of stalk to shoulder should give more consistent shots and the rifle would be easily canted on bags or rest as long as the scope was vertical.

It grates my OCD to think that someone's scope is not perpendicular to the axis of the bore - keep it cock-on!

Who you calling a cant?

If your rifle has a slight can't and the scope is set perpendicular to the axis of the bore, then zeroed ,I think it should be as accurate.
    All I am asking is does it make any difference once it is zeroed in, I think it should be just as accurate.

If the scope's canted it'll screw up your holdover and windage subtensions
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by culler View Post
    If your rifle has a slight can't and the scope is set perpendicular to the axis of the bore, then zeroed ,I think it should be as accurate.
    All I am asking is does it make any difference once it is zeroed in, I think it should be just as accurate.
    The rifle will be no less accurate but the scope adjustments will be all to hell. For instance if you want to adjust your sights to shoot 1/2" higher you may have to adjust 3/4" on the elevation and 1/4" on the windage.
    Many small bore target shooters shoot with canted rifles and sights but that is at a known set distance that never varies and the angle of cant is consistant and repeatable. Much easier to simply ensure that sights are perpendicular to the bore especially important if shooting at longer distances.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Canting the scope is bad whether its the whole rig in the shoulder or the gun square and the scope off in the rings

but some shoot the rifle with slight cant and the scope square to them this is not so bad

not something i can do Im very sensitive to canted scopes when passed another's rifle even if its off by a tiny amount