Scope cant

culler

While discussing setting up a scope a few weeks ago it was agreed that the standard method was to ensure that the rifle was level then set the scope level to ensure that both where in line, Would I be right in thinking that in many instances the rifle snugs into the shoulder at a slight angle (the top leaning toward your head) If you then level the scope, tighten it down and zero it on the range it would shoot as good as the standard method?
I know that to hold the scope off the vertical after its been zeroed will result in inaccurate and inconsistent shots.

but what happens when you stick it on bags/bench or vice rest etc it would still be canted,so its easier just to do it standard,:D atb doug

I hadn't thought of that, but surely a nice comfortable fit of stalk to shoulder should give more consistent shots and the rifle would be easily canted on bags or rest as long as the scope was vertical.

It grates my OCD to think that someone's scope is not perpendicular to the axis of the bore - keep it cock-on! :eek:

If your rifle has a slight can't and the scope is set perpendicular to the axis of the bore, then zeroed ,I think it should be as accurate.
All I am asking is does it make any difference once it is zeroed in, I think it should be just as accurate.

If your rifle has a slight can't and the scope is set perpendicular to the axis of the bore, then zeroed ,I think it should be as accurate.
All I am asking is does it make any difference once it is zeroed in, I think it should be just as accurate.

The rifle will be no less accurate but the scope adjustments will be all to hell. For instance if you want to adjust your sights to shoot 1/2" higher you may have to adjust 3/4" on the elevation and 1/4" on the windage.
Many small bore target shooters shoot with canted rifles and sights but that is at a known set distance that never varies and the angle of cant is consistant and repeatable. Much easier to simply ensure that sights are perpendicular to the bore especially important if shooting at longer distances.

Canting the scope is bad whether its the whole rig in the shoulder or the gun square and the scope off in the rings

but some shoot the rifle with slight cant and the scope square to them this is not so bad

not something i can do Im very sensitive to canted scopes when passed another's rifle even if its off by a tiny amount

If your target shooting at set ranges no issue but if not then bad idea. I have spirit levels fitted to some of my rifles my LR in particular. Can be great help if you are shooting acrossa steeply sloping bank. Also have an cosine indicator on my squirrel rifle.

I always set up my actions in a workmate and level then attach scope and align reticule to a plumb line, you might actually find in some scopes inc Leupold that they can be up to 5 degrees off. I also use a piece of plate glass across the bottom half of the rings this qiuickly shows up if they are out of align and may need reversing/moving to align to the action.You need to be careful when you do up the top ring screws as this can also cause the tube to rotate.

I have an old Kasnar varriable scope which has an internal spirit level which is a brilliant idea and I note that the current range of Konus scopes have the same feature. The point is it doesnt have to be in the middle rather the same place whenever you take the shot.

There are numerous types of levels available, Deben, sportsmatch, B square all sell them. If you look at the FT air rifle boys they all use them.

Regards

D

Back