Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring up lorry chiller.

Wiring up lorry chiller.

I have purchased a chiller unit off a supermarket home delivery van. It has a smaller freezer unit, a larger chilled unit and a mains hook up for when the engine was not running. I assume it should be fairly straight forward for someone with a lot more electrical knowledge than me to get this up and running? It has the control panel from inside the van and all the wiring looks to have been cut off long for ease of rewiring. I guess it ran off the van aircon system and some sort of tank would be needed for the gas to get it working again?

Am I wasting my time and better off buying a new chiller unit to sit inside?

ATB

Tom

Tom
    i think they run off the vehicles electrics. Just like a fridge. So you might have 12v motor which runs the cooling side in the box unit on the outside of the van.
    If it ran off the vans air con system you would have two pipes coming from fridge unit/ outside box to the van.

If if its all self contained I would of thought a competent sparky could wire it up.

Good luck.

ATB

jon

Don't know much about these but the vans I see are normally self contained units independent of the vehicle aircon! The only issue as above is what voltage it runs on.

If it's just based on a normal box van it's odds on it's 12v. Looking at the pics though it looks as though the pipes have been cut, so needs connecting back up to something and regassing?

Just looked again and no pic ??? have you posted on another forum as well? Or is it just coincidence that someone else has the same problem ?
    Last edited by rodp; 13-03-2015 at 22:01.

Before you edited I was about to ask - what pics? There were definitely none on this thread!

Can't find any on another forum either I think old timers has kicked in

This is not an easy job I am doing one for stalker308 and have had to build it a completely new control panel it should be finished next week weather permitting.
    When it is finished I will explain how its done.
    The van has two compessors an engine driven one and a 240volt unit but all the controls are 12volt which complicates the job.
    Last edited by sikadog; 15-03-2015 at 00:10.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Thanks all. As Jon said, I was hoping it would be fairly straight forward that a sparky could do but I think I will have to ask sikadog for the instructions once he has finished his unit.

This unit has two rubber hoses which I can only assume connected to the aircon system on the van.

Thanks again

ATB

Tom

The unit has two sets of rubber hoses the set you can see need disconnecting off the pipework and blanking off.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I do have a box of redundant bits that have been removed from mine by sikadog. Yet to see if it will work though been a complicated process.