Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog on the whistle....or not as it seems

Dog on the whistle....or not as it seems

Hi all

I'm after some advice. My 14 month old Lab (Radley) has been trained to the whistle and is pretty good. Over the past week or so he is completely ignoring it. Even out on open fields with no distractions and the promise of a treat on return he is not coming back. I'm at a loss to understand why this has happened or indeed how I can correct it.

He comes from excellent working stock, is intelligent and was castrated about 6 months ago.

Any suggestions ?

FN

Are there any bitches in heat using the same area?

No, not that I'm aware of. It's a pretty unused area.

FN

Like you say his intelligent enough to work that he does't have to come back when called.
    You need to go back to basics and call him in a restricted area where you can ensure he does come back and gradually increase the distance.
    Its not easy but only try to call him when you can enforce the command if required.
    Good luck
    Paul
    PS. never tell him off for what ever reason if he has come back to you and try to make a fuss of him when he gets it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabnosh View Post
    Hi all

I'm after some advice. My 14 month old Lab (Radley) has been trained to the whistle and is pretty good. Over the past week or so he is completely ignoring it. Even out on open fields with no distractions and the promise of a treat on return he is not coming back. I'm at a loss to understand why this has happened or indeed how I can correct it.

He comes from excellent working stock, is intelligent and was castrated about 6 months ago.

Any suggestions ?

FN
    He's pissed off after you had his bits off

Spot on advice

you have to realise a dog is not a child its a dog and if it ignores you to that extent then personally i would get serious with it .i dont believe that allowing it to do as it pleases and calling it back when the command can be enforced works just like kids they will take the piss if your soft.whistle it back and if it persists in ignoring you then when you get it back put it on the lead and give it a clout.the same advice is handed down from whatever book it came from but the more you ignore it the worse it will go,rewarding a dog with a pat or a treat for ignorance is just counter productive how the hell is it going to learn right from wrong? and no i wouldnt come back if you cut my cods off why would you do that to a perfectly healthy dog at that age perhaps some misplaced advice from the local vet?it seems fashion these days,every time you walk in the vets for any treatment you get asked have you considered having your dog speyed or castrated its all ******** if you will pardon the pun.i may have ruffled some feathers but it certainly works for me iv seen a lot of dogs trained the RIGHT WAYand all they do is spoil everyone elses day just like spoit kids.just my opinion of course

I agree with chunky sailor on several points that he makes. I was always told that castrating a puppy will result in a full grown puppy (A lab dog is still a puppy until 24 minimum). Now for some help. Firstly, until he starts recalling, stop him on the whistle. Then recall him with lots of praise when he conforms. Perhaps a quick retrieve as a reward? Failure to return, then leave your coat or bag where you are standing then get out after him, then drag him back to your start point. He needs to know that ignoring you is unacceptable and will not be tolerated! If he's not on the stop whistle then it's back to basics for him.
    Baguio

I'd ay it is normal for most dogs to have a wee phase where they seem to forget everything u have ever taught them, if u are confident u have done the basics well the dog will proobably come right on its own so i wouldnae worry too much about it, just dinae let it get away with it or let it develop any worse

With a whole dog there usually have a wee phase sometime from 1yr ish to 18 month old, just being adolensents and trying to push boundries as far as they can, usually grow out of it, but no idea if that still happens with a 'chopped' dog.
    If u think it is just a phase u can not do to much and take a month or so of just basics or on lead excercising etc all pretty boring but just dinae let the problem devolop any worse.

U could also go down some of the roads given above, as long as u follow the simple rules, never punish if/when it does come back, never give a command u can't enforce (ie pick ur battles, if already sniffing or bombing in oppisate direction no point blowing recall while u have the problem as more chance of it ignoring it) and don't repeat the commnad if ignoring only re enforcing him ignoring the command.

Back to basics really simple stuff, only blow recall when its already facing u, u run the oppisate direction as soon as blow, treats/retreives and plenty of praise when it does, plus praise as soon as it starts to recall if it has stoped/turned, possibly hiding from dog(althou not strictly for recall more for a bogging off dog), even back to a long line if the easy things arenae working

Bagio, the way i understand/read ur last sentance (i may have misunderstood it or u might off wrote it wrong?), Do u drag dog back to where Uwere when u blew the whistle? (If it works for u, great)
    Every trainer i've ever trained with usually brings the dog back to the point where HE was when he ignored ur whistle. As that will be the point the dog remembers ignoring the command not the point that u are standing at
    Usually put the lead on step back 2 paces and blow recell tugging dog to u, make it sit and repeat a couple of times.
    If i'm expecting a problem i will make a point of blowing the whistle when the dog is near someting (thistle, dock, fence post etc) so i can bring the dog back to the exact place

At this time of year there is no hurry to get ur dog to te next level/ready for working so just take ur time and only move on when the dog is ready, every now and again u will have to take a step back but dinae worry to much about it. If u have done the boring puppy basic right ur dog will turn out ok

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Bagio, the way i understand/read ur last sentance (i may have misunderstood it or u might off wrote it wrong?), Do u drag dog back to where Uwere when u blew the whistle? (If it works for u, great)
    Every trainer i've ever trained with usually brings the dog back to the point where HE was when he ignored ur whistle. As that will be the point the dog remembers ignoring the command not the point that u are standing at
    Usually put the lead on step back 2 paces and blow recell tugging dog to u, make it sit and repeat a couple of times.
    If i'm expecting a problem i will make a point of blowing the whistle when the dog is near someting (thistle, dock, fence post etc) so i can bring the dog back to the exact place
    No countrryboy, you read it correctly. However what you say makes a lot of sense and is something that I will try too. I've worked with a few professionals but never had a problem with recalls when with them so self taught that part. Will give your method a try in the future and see how I get on.
    Baguio