Do you weigh your individual components and rounds

gixer1

I was loading up some rounds the other night and decided to weight the batch of completed rounds (around 60) to see what the variance was, I discovered there was up to a 9gr variance across the batch so took the ones that seemed out apart and reweighed the charge which came out as correct.

I then weighted some brass empties and it appears this is where the variance comes in, even in a single brand there appeared to be a 6-7 gr variance, (these were 30-30) so I was just wondering if anyone else weighs their assembled rounds?

The bullets appeared to be within 4-5 grains of each other over 30 samples.

Also, if the brass is sized and trimmed, surely only the capacity could be different which would potentially lead to a pressure difference in the round and potential differences in point of impact? so do you "batch within your batches" for weight?

Regards,

Gixer

No point weighing once assembled then batching as you don't no where the variable is in each round.

K

Sorry, I meant batching components (brass specifically) not batching the assembled rounds...as in - some people batch by number of times fired, but for example do people have sub- batches within their twice fired brass for weights.

Very suprised to hear that you found a 4-5 grain variation between bullets, they are usually very consistent.

I used to weigh and batch cases when load developing but can't be bothered now.

I am one of the sad ones that weigh and batch both new brass and bullets. I reload for a few people and the chronograph (to me) is a very important part of load development. Therefore, for me trying to make clones it is essential that bullets and cases weigh within a gnats tit.

Personally being retired and waiting around to die, I find I have the time to do the above.:old:

I never bother weighing cases, I just check that the powder calibration is spot on, apart from that if I can get a 1/2" group rested at 100m that is more than good enough for me.
atb Tim
12-E54DC450-1391966-1280-100.jpg

I've always weighed every powder charge, but never brass or bullets. I did get a nice little mtm scale for Christmas so I'm going to do so from now on. Unecessary for a hunting application but it's my time and it beats listening to the wife!

As opposed to weighing cases, I find it more beneficial to batch them by measured capacity.
I only do this with .338lm and .50bmg though.

Very suprised to hear that you found a 4-5 grain variation between bullets, they are usually very consistent.

I used to weigh and batch cases when load developing but can't be bothered now.

Probably missed out the point sign before the numbers unless he has been buying particulary crap bullets because as you say most good bullets are quite close weight wise.

Probably missed out the point sign before the numbers unless he has been buying particulary crap bullets because as you say most good bullets are quite close weight wise.

Nope - Speer Hot cor in this case - 150gr, lowest 147, highest 152, so not a massive variance considering they are FN 30-30 bullets but still a difference...

on on the measuring the powder - surely this is of little significance of the case volume is varying as the pressure will increase/decrease.

Nope - Speer Hot cor in this case - 150gr, lowest 147, highest 152, so not a massive variance considering they are FN 30-30 bullets but still a difference...

on on the measuring the powder - surely this is of little significance of the case volume is varying as the pressure will increase/decrease.

Speer HotCor do vary a lot in weight compared to Sierra ProHunter series (same construction), and the more modern plastic tipped & bonded products..... but you can't do anything about this aspect. Weighing complete rounds might just show the sum of all the extreme variations - like heaviest bullet in the heaviest case, so I'm not sure it accomplishes anything.

It's always interesting checking this on factory ammo, but I don't get much of this to play with.

I do weigh the brass within makes - other makes vary even within batches of the same make. Norma and Lapua are now so consistent that it's probably not worth the effort.

I always weigh every charge as that's the only bit under my control .... PLUS it feels better.

The reason I weigh brass is that I ALWAYS start 'ladder loads' with the heaviest brass. That's on the assumption that if the weight range varies by 10% (and some do) then the internal capacity might reflect this same difference. Then rising pressure is going to show sooner .... and a near-maximum load in the heaviest brass is going to have a bit more elbow room in lighter brass in the same make.

I've got no reason to believe that the internal capacity is going to vary in the same way, so don't know if this is true.

As opposed to weighing cases, I find it more beneficial to batch them by measured capacity.
I only do this with .338lm and .50bmg though.

Agreed but interestingly I only do this with the 22 Hornet and again because I believe that variations in any small round translate to significantly magnified variation in the physics of the total package compared to a larger cartridge.

But hell, we're Rifleman I guess, not Rocket Scientists!

K

I do weigh completed rounds, mainly to ensure I have dropped a powder charge into them. Had an issue with a new funnel in 17 cal, powder would not flow through and I did not notice, lodged a bullet into the bore. Checked the whole batch and there was another the same.

As regards batching, I did dabble at a bit of benchrest but despite being competitive with my 'old fox rifle' it did not really ring my bell especially as Bisley is 3 hours away. When shooting 100BR I do batch cases and bullets by weight. Then I have a row of 5 in a box that are as identical as I can make them.

Having watched an England International BR shot reloading between relays he just pulled bullets out of a box of 500, he won !!. He did not weigh of batch any of his, I came not to far behind him having batched everything.

For vermin shooting then I dont batch but pills from Hornady etc do show a weight variance, in my small calibers there is usually of = or - .4 of a grain with the bulk usually being 2 or 3 weights in the center of the spread. Best I have ever had was 200 Berger 50 gr 204 cal, all 200 were 50.0 or 50.1. Mind it was a new bullet for them at the time so i suppose the dies were new.

Some say its more important to measure length rather than weight.

A

I weigh every charge of powder and always use the same brand of case I don't weigh the heads good enough for vermin / deer

Back