Thread: knife edge

knife edge

Just a quick one as I know its been done,what is the best system,for a really sharp knife,where can you buy it from?
    Tone.

Lansky, get a real good edge, and I got mine from cla game fair 2/3 years ago, but I know sportsman gun centre sell them.

+1 for Lansky then strop the knife on a leather strop coated with chromium oxide powder & oil - there is loads of info on the net regarding this - doing this will give you a razor edge. I tend to simply strop the blade after every use only needing to sharpen it with the lansky after dressing out two or three roe. Tandy leather sell a strop or you can make your own.

Also a big fan of the lansky, had one for 7 yearsnow, and still going strong. When I would meet a friend who was educating me on stalking, I would show him my kit and knives the night before. After close inspection he would state ' good edges, get the lansky out and sharpen mine, while I pour the wine'.

As above , try Ebay seems to plenty of them on there

You sometimes see them for sale on here....why sell though?
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    +1 for Lansky then strop the knife on a leather strop coated with chromium oxide powder & oil - there is loads of info on the net regarding this - doing this will give you a razor edge. I tend to simply strop the blade after every use only needing to sharpen it with the lansky after dressing out two or three roe. Tandy leather sell a strop or you can make your own.
    I agree with Duncan. As an alternative to the Chromium Oxide + oil you can use Solvol Autosol metal cleaner from Halfords - it comes in a tube and is useable straight from the nozzle. A little goes a long way, gives a high polish and an edge you can shave with!!

If you wanting the "best" system, then you cannot beat the "Wicked Edge" however it is a little more pricey then the Lansky. I coughed up and bought the Wicked Edge and have never looked back, all my knives are profiled and sharpened to the spec I want, accurate touch ups are just so easy.

Steve.

Try Before you buy.
    I use 500 & 800 wet and dry. It can be folded to make a sharping stone size or glued on to something flat, like a tile.You need to sharpen away from the edge as it could cut in. This may leave a small burr but a leather strop will leave a great edge. And only 1 a sheet.