Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Design

Stock Design

I'm going to get a new stock made for my rifle. Absolutely love the gun but the stock is all wrong for me and just magnifies recoil and makes it slower to shoulder.

As it's a large caliber I'm thinking the usual straight combed dangerous game stock. My chosen (very experienced) stock maker will no doubt see me right, I have a pretty good idea what I want anyway, and it'll be fitted exactly to me.

That been said, I thought I'd throw it out here incase I've forgotten something.
    It is a significant investment after all

So, who wants to chip in with some ideas?

Current stock:
    Attachment 53868
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 14-03-2015 at 00:13.

It is what, a vintage 1885 in .45-70?
    Do you just use the open sights, or plan to go to a peep sight or scope?

Everyone is different in terms of neck, cheeks, shoulders.
    I like stocks with some drop on them, because I shoot a lot of iron sights. For me, the butt stock of a Remington 700 with the slight comb works well. So does the hogback stock on the Sako 75 and 85 Bavarian, because you can mount the gun with head back on the dropped part for the iron sights, and forward up on the comb for a scope.

This butt stock on the Browning 1885, the B78, works better than you think it would.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	browning-b78-25-06.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	53870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b78-3006-butt-r.jpg 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	53871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b78-3006-butt-l.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	53872

Established Poster

You're on the right track Southern, This one may be a little extreme for a hunting rifle,The Europeans design the best hunting stocks the Sako Baverian and the CZ 550FS are the better factory stocks on the affordable side, American stocks are far too straight they are more suited to shooting prone rather than more usual field positions like standing sitting and kneeling with sticks or other support , My favourite rifle game is Metallic Silhouette it's hard to find a suitable factory stock that has enough drop in the butt, when you shoot an 80 shot match with the toe stuck in your shoulder it looses it's charm damn quick, I like the Remington BDL stock that fits me better than most, also the Weatherby butt is ok but not the square forearm not as comfitable as the rounder Remington,
    To check the stock fit stand upright looking at your target bring the rifle to your shoulder and look through the sight if you can not see the target through the sight without moving your head the stock is wrong, ask the shot gunners they understand stock fit without a good fitting stock you can't hit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    It is what, a vintage 1885 in .45-70?
    Do you just use the open sights, or plan to go to a peep sight or scope?

Everyone is different in terms of neck, cheeks, shoulders.
    I like stocks with some drop on them, because I shoot a lot of iron sights. For me, the butt stock of a Remington 700 with the slight comb works well. So does the hogback stock on the Sako 75 and 85 Bavarian, because you can mount the gun with head back on the dropped part for the iron sights, and forward up on the comb for a scope.

This butt stock on the Browning 1885, the B78, works better than you think it would.

Name:	browning-b78-25-06.jpg 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	53870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b78-3006-butt-r.jpg 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	53871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b78-3006-butt-l.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	53872

Nah not vintage, Uberti rep in 45-120. Wouldn't mess with an original

She's got a marble arms tang sight on her now and that's the sight I'll be sticking with. Irons all the way fo me.
    So I know I'll need some drop so my eye lines up nice but I want her to recoil in as straight a line as possible.

Ive tried hogsback on small stuff but don't they increase felt recoil when you start stepping up calibers, mainly with the comb smacking you in the face?
    I like the look of them mind.

I was thinking something like this:
    Attachment 53874

Quote Originally Posted by robertw View Post

You're on the right track Southern, This one may be a little extreme for a hunting rifle,The Europeans design the best hunting stocks the Sako Baverian and the CZ 550FS are the better factory stocks on the affordable side, American stocks are far too straight they are more suited to shooting prone rather than more usual field positions like standing sitting and kneeling with sticks or other support , My favourite rifle game is Metallic Silhouette it's hard to find a suitable factory stock that has enough drop in the butt, when you shoot an 80 shot match with the toe stuck in your shoulder it looses it's charm damn quick, I like the Remington BDL stock that fits me better than most, also the Weatherby butt is ok but not the square forearm not as comfitable as the rounder Remington,
    To check the stock fit stand upright looking at your target bring the rifle to your shoulder and look through the sight if you can not see the target through the sight without moving your head the stock is wrong, ask the shot gunners they understand stock fit without a good fitting stock you can't hit much.
    And this is why I'm tempted by a hogsback. I have zero intention on shooting her prone, always off sticks or offhand.
    Ive checked the stock for myself and it's off a bit which slows me down and to avoid getting the toe of the crescent biting me takes longer still.
    Hogsbacks feel the best in the shoulder but it's the recoil management side of things with 'em. Would a well fitted hogsback beat me about like factory ones do to a lot of people?

Quote Originally Posted by robertw View Post

That is the way the Sako Bavarian does for me. I can mount it, eyes closed, and open my eyes with the sights lined right up.
    Same for the Sako L61R, which is why I shopped for one for years in .375 H&H for my DG rifle. I loved my last Model 70 Express in every way, except the stock was too straight for instant aligning of its wonderful iron sights ( NECG).

Ive tried hogsback on small stuff but don't they increase felt recoil when you start stepping up calibers, mainly with the comb smacking you in the face?
    Not necessarily. It is not just the drop, but the pitch, like a shotgun. I don't want a heavy recoiling rifle like a .45-70, .375 H&H, .416 or .470 NE coming straight back at me. I want it to lift and to roll with it. If its sights line up for me, I can get it back on target quickly for the next shot.

I have an original first year Marlin .444 with the straight grip stock, but with a Monte Carlo comb. It looks out of place and was changed, but I tell you, it works. My son and nephew, wen they were just teens, and thin boys, would shoot as much as I would let them, no problem. Every round left them in awe, but no bruising or flinching. If you can't find a picture of it, I will take one.

I will take some photos of some other rifles I have which mount well and no felt recoil, all with hard rubber or steel buttplates, .vintage .30-06s and sporting Mausers in 8x57 and 8x60S. That 8x60s points like a 28-gauge double, weighs 6.25 lbs, and fires a 200-gr bullet at 2,700 FPS, and I have shot 9-lb 308s which kicked worse. I tell you, for the 1885, that Browninng stock is nice. If you want, I can get a set for the B78, brand new, never put on a rifle. I may get them anyway, and save them for when I find a rifle with a dinged stock, and sell that one. It would be work your trying on your rifle, to see how close it is, so you could have it tweaked into one made for you.

How the old timers did it with the 1885

Name:	win-1885-schuetzen-left.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	54120
    Low Wall in .38-40.
    Last edited by Southern; 21-03-2015 at 00:31.

That's maybe a little extravagent for my tastes

I bet you could become used to it.

Well I am a Northern Magpie meeting the stock maker on Friday morning. We're gonna see what they can do with what is already there. If we can't get what I need from it then I'll look at a complete new one.
    Pretty fortunate as the stockmaker has a few decades experience and his colleague is an avid big game hunter. So that experience should combine nicely to hash out what I want.