Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7mm 08 Shortest Barrel length??

7mm 08 Shortest Barrel length??

I'm currently looking at getting a lightweight compact 'woodland stalker' rifle built for small woodlands and high seats which I seem to be doing more of lately. I like the look of the 7mm 08 for this but I'm wondering just how short I can go with the barrel length? I've considered the RPA one which has only a 16" barrel but it is extremely heavy!
    Could a 7mm 08 cope with a 16" barrel? It does seem rather short! I've read that this calibre is rather suited to shorter light weight rifles. Any thoughts or experiences welcomed!
    MS

Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

Still deer legal out of a 15". These loads will just be the rifle loads through a short barrel so you could gain some velocity by messing around with other powders more suited to the short barrel.

20 inches.
    At that length, ithe drop off in velocity from 24 ionly about 100 fps. Beyond that, it drops off quickly.

Muzzle blast is not bad at 20 inches, in a bolt action or lever action.
    Balance and handling are really nice with a standard weight barrel, just over 6 lbs.

I have a 20-inch Winchester Model 70 Compact and a Browning BLR.
    The M70 wears a 1.75-5x22mm Burris. The BLR wears a 4x32 in QD rings over iron sights.
    I also have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08, with 2-7x35 Burris Ballistic Plex for full performance.
    All three rifles weigh just under 7 lbs loaded, and shoot the same loads very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    20 inches.
    At that length, ithe drop off in velocity from 24 ionly about 100 fps. Beyond that, it drops off quickly.

Balance and handling are really nice with a standard weight barrel, just over 6 lbs.

The M70 wears a 1.75-5x22mm Burris. The BLR wears a 4x32 in QD rings over iron sights.
    I also have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08, with 2-7x35 Burris Ballistic Plex for full performance.
    All three rifles weigh just under 7 lbs loaded, and shoot the same loads very well.
    I'm not too bothered about losing a bit of speed as it is for close work mainly and I'm sure there will still be sufficient to remain 'deer legal' in the UK and drop anything I'm likely to encounter.
    Muzzle blast is also not so much an issue for us here as we have those moderator things which you across the pond cannot be trusted with! That always amazes me, how you can have as many big guns as you like, but you can't have a moderator??
    I can always use a slightly faster powder too, but the downside of that will be more recoil, but with a moderator it will be fine I'm sure. Somebody must have a short one?
    MS

I built a 14" handgun on a Remington XP-100 bolt action. The muzzle blast was pretty fierce, IIRC.~Muir

20 inches.

Have you gotten out with that one recently??~Muir

Yes, I did take it out, and shot some more factory ammo through it, to check it out. It shot it all into sub MOA groups.

But i stepped on some snow on top of ice and fell and broke some ribs, so no rifle shooting for another month. The M70 and BLR are gorgeous and a joy to carry, but the Tikka is a joy to carry, shoots like crazy, and is perfect for navigating 45-degree slopes of timber and crossing streams rock to rock - a real workhorse. Next loads to test are the 154-gr Hornady SPT handloads. It loves the Remington 120-gr factory ammo and my 120-gr Nosler BT loads, giving about 2,950 fps with all holes touching - like a 25-06 in a small package.

Yes, I did take it out, and shot some more factory ammo through it, to check it out. It shot it all into sub MOA groups.

But i stepped on some snow on top of ice and fell and broke some ribs, so no rifle shooting for another month. The M70 and BLR are gorgeous and a joy to carry, but the Tikka is a joy to carry, shoots like crazy, and is perfect for navigating 45-degree slopes of timber and crossing streams rock to rock - a real workhorse. Next loads to test are the 154-gr Hornady SPT handloads. It loves the Remington 120-gr factory ammo and my 120-gr Nosler BT loads, giving about 2,950 fps with all holes touching - like a 25-06 in a small package.
    Sorry to hear about the fall. Fractured ribs are a bi-ch. I am glad you got out with it some more. I am beginning to think mine is going to top my all time favorite hunting rifle. I also have gravitated to the 120's. Fast and hard hitting. The local Trading Post got in the full line of IMR's new "Enduron" powders and I was eyeballing IMR 4166 for the 7-08/120 grain combo as it is supposed to be a clone of Varget. Data shows it to be almost identical in charge weights and more importantly, pressures, giving equal velocities -but at $36.95 a pound I think I'll use up my existing six or seven pounds of proven Varget before I start down that path. (I shoot my 7mm-08 loads between 90F and -25 f. I don't see a lot of powder sensitivity using Varget.) Should Varget dry up completely, I may give it a look.~Muir

It looks like another excuse for another gun!

I asked the same question last year bud, some on hear pm'd me and one guy ''I'll leave him to get in touch should he wish'' sent photos of his with an 18in barrel, I've gone for 20in from the point of ignition so will probably show about 18in so depending on how you choose to measure, but it's not back yet so can't give any solid information on how it shoots sorry.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!