Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calibre for custom rifle

Calibre for custom rifle

Evening gents,
    i am looking at the possibility of getting a custom build end of the year and pondering what calibre, I currently use a .308 & 22-250, shoot a lot of red and roe so deciding if to get something suited to both or get one suited to a specific species.
    one calibre that I keep looking at is 6.5 x 47, any good?
    Any positive suggestions welcome
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    Evening gents,
    i am looking at the possibility of getting a custom build end of the year and pondering what calibre, I currently use a .308 & 22-250, shoot a lot of red and roe so deciding if to get something suited to both or get one suited to a specific species.
    one calibre that I keep looking at is 6.5 x 47, any good?
    Any positive suggestions welcome
    cheers
    Callum Ferguson is building more rifles in 6.5x47 Lapua just now than any other chambering.

Personally, I kind of feel a custom rifle almost deserves something a wee bit out the norm, in other words a chambering that's renowned for its accuracy to compliment the potential of a custom action and barrel...

May be dictated by what you intend to shoot with it as well though....

Just my thoughts...

Cheers jamross
    would think if I was to dedicate it to one species it would be Roe

6.5x47 Lapua good choice for every deer species in the UK. A mates just had one built. He's a sniper in forces. Said the Lapua is the most accurate round he's fired!

Quite like 22.250ai, 6mmbr, 243ai, 708, or maybe 25-06

Hi Mate you will get lots of advice and good to,but very few will tell you they have a bad calibre,my advice is do some research on your own work out your needs and make the decision yourself good luck mate

take a good look at the 260 remington..

Not a great deal to choose between .25-06Rem. 260Rem & 6.5x47Lapua. For a custom build I'd choose the 6.5x47Lapua....best start saving. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

The one calibre I get asked to build the most of is 6.5x47, followed by 260 Rem and 308

I shoot mainly Reds, Roe Fallow and occasional Sika, the "47" copes with them all.

If you're stretching distances, then go for 6.5x284

Firstly, what kind of custom build, a synthetic plastic fantastic or a classy gun?

Secondly, if re-loading is your bag and you feel like wasting your life shaping brass, then go for a wildcat, but no disrespect Jamross (genuinely meant), there's a rack of non 6.5x47's that shoot equally well, chambering has absolutely nothing to do with accuracy whatsoever. BC and SD as well as MV for a given bullet design will dictate its proficiency at certain extended ranges, but not 'accuracy', esp. when it comes to non competitive shooting.

If you don't always want to be tied at the hip to the reloading bench and be at the mercy of reloading supplies, AND you still want the same accuracy potential as 'wildcat' calibres/chamberings, then please do consider something more standardized.

If you want something more specific to Roe, but still perfectly capable of taking Sika and Reds, then IMVHO, give serious consideration to any of the following: .243, .257R, 6.5x55, .260rem, 7-08, 7x57, 270. If it's going to be pretty much 'just' a Roe gun, hell, your best shooter in terms of your handling the recoil/generating accuracy, availability of ammo and reloading components, etc. etc. is probably the .243Win. Load it with 100g partitions or even a 100g norma soft point off the shelf and you can take the biggest stag in the UK without it running off head over heels.

Personally, I'd say 7x57 with 139g RWS Spire Points will be your ultimate UK round, built in a classically styled rifle. Unless you're hell bent on wasting a ton of money and time, don't bother with the 'custom/wildcat/exotic' chamberings, why would you when something so 'normal' could 99.99% of the time generate equally good grouping and ballistics for what you're going to be using it for.

..unless it's to be yet another SD showpiece that has the same old McMillan stock, same old stainless barrel and a jewell trigger..yawn..

Edit. Redmist. 6.5-284, not a bad call, great too for re-barrelling every couple of years, caatchiiiing