Thread: CCI mini mags

CCI mini mags

I'm sure I've read on here that these .22lr rounds are for target use and non expanding. Is that correct? The reason I ask is that I've just bought some to try (at 8 per hundred - good, bad or indifferent pricing?) and the box is marked as "varmint".

cheers

Novice

Easy way to tell if it is hollow point it expands. If its solid its a target round.

Regards Kev.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Do they do the mini mag in both hollow point and solid?

novice

Thats true they come in solid aswell.

Regards Kev
    Last edited by kev.rem700; 15-03-2015 at 08:33.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

The Target ones will show HV on the box for high velocity and as has been said they will be solid round nose and the others will have HP on the box for hollow point, they did also make a subsonic in very similar packaging a few years ago, I've been caught out once (almost twice) by sportsmans who sold me 800 HP when I wanted HV but I didn't notice till I got home (I didn't have expanding on my license) and then the 2nd time they tried to palm 1000 sub sonics off, I noticed it on the packaging just as they were filling in their ammo register, I was surprised at how similar the packaging and labels were.

They still expand and there is no legal or ethical reason not to use them on small game or vermin

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    They still expand and there is no legal or ethical reason not to use them on small game or vermin
    I agree. The HP and Solid CCI Mini Mag act no differently on game. Both are pure lead.

The hollow point is marketing. Back when it was introduced, the Mini Mag was touted as a hunting round. The full page ads showed a rabbit bounding ahead of a shooter armed with the then-new round. With the advent of CCI's more specialized hunting rounds like the Velocitor and the SGB, they have officially relegated the Mini Mag to "plinkng and target" in their catalog. Again, marketing. ~Muir

Minimag comes in solid and hollow point. They are quite pricey but 8/100 is actually pretty reasonable. They are shorter than most 22rf and pitched at the AR15 ''look alike'' semi auto 'rimmies'. They cycle better and cause less jams largely due to being copper washed so no wax lube to choke the mechanism up.
    Iain
    Northern Sportsman
    RFD 813 Northumbria