Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the UK have public land for stalking?

Should the UK have public land for stalking?

I have been involved in the regulations for hunting game species on public land in Victoria through hunting organisations. This got me thinking about the UK.

Should the UK have public land for deer stalking? If so what is holding this back from being law. If not, why not?
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Nice idea, not really enough suitable public (wilderness) land to make it work though.

Would still need regulation and rationing. Would it be for deer management or recreational stalking?

Effectively we have this already with Forestry Commission and their "regulatory" regime.

Up to you. Could be both. Could be for deer/foxes/minks whatever. Could be with game licences, bag limits, online booking, whatever.

And our stupid laws. Apparently you cannot sign your rights away over here, even if you sign a disclaimer you can still claim. This is what's messed up such as motor sport, fun days etc, the insurance is just so expensive due to claims.

Yes but you could pay insurance via a game licence or hunting organisation that should cover you.

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    Yes but you could pay insurance via a game licence or hunting organisation that should cover you.
    So I was told by a friend who used to run motor sport and fun day events any insurance that covers you for all eventualities regarding serious injury or death is now so expensive it prices the sport out.
    This obviously applies to relatively small events of no more than a couple of hundred but I could see it applying to the public hunting.
    Can you imagine applying for insurance against either being shot or shooting someone when you wouldn't even know who or where anyone was on the land?

Not sure about this one - prefer to always be behind mine and others guns - it would have to be tightly regulated/organised - probably closed down to nothing less than DSC2 and then that's before the inherent British / old boy corruption kicks in......

Call me an old cynic.....

If you can pay for motor vehicle insurance then id thought the same would apply to hunting and the former is far more dangerous.

Well i came from a state that lost it and now trying to get it back. I now live in a state where you pay your license, get your gun and go hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    If you can pay for motor vehicle insurance then id thought the same would apply to hunting and the former is far more dangerous.

Well i came from a state that lost it and now trying to get it back. I now live in a state where you pay your license, get your gun and go hunting.
    Slight difference in size ..your state is probably as big as our island with marginal less than our 60 odd million inhabitants ...