Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Salt Licks.

Salt Licks.

Hi folks. I'm looking for some ideas of how to get the Roe on my patch out of the thick and into somewhere more stalkable. (if there is such a word) I was thinking of getting a portable high seat and some salt licks. Any advice on these? I know the farm store local to me sell the ones for horses, would these do or is there something better? The thing is, as in my earlier post, I've still got cows in the wood. So getting a place out the way of them will be essential. Can the cows smell the blocks and would they come looking? Your thoughts please… cjs

Quote Originally Posted by cjs66 View Post
    Hi folks. I'm looking for some ideas of how to get the Roe on my patch out of the thick and into somewhere more stalkable. (if there is such a word) I was thinking of getting a portable high seat and some salt licks. Any advice on these? I know the farm store local to me sell the ones for horses, would these do or is there something better? The thing is, as in my earlier post, I've still got cows in the wood. So getting a place out the way of them will be essential. Can the cows smell the blocks and would they come looking? Your thoughts please… cjs

If you shoot them at the salt lick they will soon figure out that going to that salt lick is bad news. U need too try shoot them on there journey there.
    Always think before you pull that trigger.

Hi 222, yeah, that was my thoughts. Catch them on one of the rides on the way. cjs

unless its on its own as it'll be dead and not heading back there anytime soon anyway

I got an aniseed, salt lick from Bush Wear with the same intention. I set up a trail camera watching it and filmed deer walking by it without taking any notice of it.

The horses one might work, make sure its doesn't have any copper in it, if there's any chance sheep might have access to it, as they are sensitive to copper.
    I use cattle licks in woodland and sheep licks in pasture. The cheapest option is to use lump rock salt, though it doesn't have any other minerals in it.
    I would agrees don't shoot them on the lick, but position the lick somewhere you can shoot them as the leave the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    unless its on its own as it'll be dead and not heading back there anytime soon anyway
    +1

These are the ones I've tried http://www.rockies.co.uk/baby%20red.html
    They are suitable for deer, I got mine from Countrywide stores. They seem to work and I really should get some more. I placed mine alongside tracks that the deer use to pass over one of the small areas that I shoot.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

So JTO, no result from the aniseed? I thought the smell alone would of attracted them. cjs

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    I got an aniseed, salt lick from Bush Wear with the same intention. I set up a trail camera watching it and filmed deer walking by it without taking any notice of it.
    I set 1 up in my garden too, deer walking past it in the snow and never even bothered it, been out over a month now and deer still never bothered it.

Might depend on the geology of the area? Was speaking to a sheep farmer the other day who was spreading rock salt on his fields to put the minerals into the soll/grass rather than a lick for sheep to 'skitter out' was his words. Never heard of anyone doing it before thou